Sunday, August 09, 2009

You have heard that it was said, 'AN EYE FOR AN EYE, AND A TOOTH FOR A TOOTH.' But I say to you, do not resist an evil person; but whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also. If anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, let him have your coat also.
~Matthew 5:38-40

What does this mean?

And the following?

Then Peter came and said to Him, "Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me and I forgive him? Up to seven times?

Jesus said to him, "I do not say to you, up to seven times, but up to seventy times seven."
~Matthew 18:21-22

How do these passages fit with the judgment that I should have called the police? If I am a sheep of the Good Shepherd, then how does being so fit with chastisement that I was supposed to protect myself?

I have thought about these things for a week and am no closer to understanding the confusing contradictions than I was when I first heard the criticism.

No comments: