Monday, May 04, 2009

I was supposed to have Friday off, but there is still too much work to be done. Today, however, I insisted on using some of my comp time.

Yesterday morning, I drove all the way out to my father's house and then on over to Pastor D's church. Dad was coming over for a movie fest and I figured since I had to do the driving, I ought to pop on over to church.

Since we were essentially driving in a huge triangle, I did not use any of the roads I normally take with Dad. As he was went we went to Gettysburg, Dad was anxious and nervous until we pulled up into the church parking lot.

The liturgical service was confusing for him, but it was interesting sitting next to him in God's house. I have not done so since my parent's divorce in 1974. I am fairly sure both he and my step-mother do not have a saving knowledge of Christ, but they do attend church regularly. In fact, they go to one of the ones that originally started the organization where I work.

Dad would sing the first verse of the hymns, but then would just listen. He read some of the common texts, but not much of them. I am not sure, however, if his reticence was from any beliefs he may have had about the service or if it was merely a matter of being lost. Seeing him that way is so difficult.

Afterward, we managed to get 5 movies in before going to bed. I feel that is a fairly good showing!

The next morning, Dad actually slept past me. I awoke at 11:15, but he slept until nearly 12:30. I would have plopped back into bed, but I was worried how he would be if he awoke and was "alone" in the house.

Trouble happened just an hour later when we pulled up to Dad's favorite breakfast dive. It was closed. Permanently.

Dad's agitation lasted nearly until we were safely on the way back to his home. Partly that was because we opted to go over to Chili's as an alternative eating place. Even though the restaurant is one of the newest ones on the "block," the service was simply horrible. Dad's hamburger came promptly, but my fajitas were first served with steak instead of chicken and then the chicken ones were served with guacamole, to which I am allergic and had specifically asked to have left off the meal. Dad was nearly finished by the time my food arrived.

I did enjoy having a respite from work and spending time with my father, whom I have not seen in a few months.

It's back to the grindstone now!

No comments: