Sunday, June 14, 2015

Cluck, cluck...


I thought I had marked all my bags of chicken that I divided and froze.  However, one of them was not marked.  I had two 3-chicken bags, one 2-chicken bags, and one 4-chicken bags, and one mystery bag.  Surely, most surely, the unmarked bag was a 5-chicken bag for my pulled chicken, right???

Wrong.
I had to wait to thaw out more chicken.
Then I thawed out even more chicken to have enough for a second recipe.




Lying beneath the orange juice and spices are five chicken breasts, all ready to go into the oven.




Two and a half hours later (and two turnings) the chicken is ready!




The chicken goes into a bowl for shredding...




(Just look at that fork action!)




... and the marinade get reduced.  I really, really, really like reducing things.




Then the chicken and marinade are reunited once more...




...before I dole them out in jars!

Each jar holds enough chicken topping for four chalupas.  I guess if you wanted some sort of sandwich, then each jar holds enough check for one of those.  But I use the chicken to go on refried black bean, sour cream, corn, chicken, and white cheddar cheese chalupas.  I am telling you, I did a BLOODY FANTASTIC job on my Spicy Pulled Chicken 2.0 recipe!

Now, I had planned for this to be my only labor today.  But that unmarked bag was only a 4-chicken bag and I needed five breasts.  So, I thawed out a 2-chicken bag.  What to do with the other chicken breast??  Well, I thought about grilling it before deciding to thaw out a 3-chicken bag and make lemon chicken gyro jars.




The recipe calls for just two chicken breasts (for four servings), but a while ago I decided that if I am going to go through the trouble of making either Lemon Chicken Gyros with Tzatziki and Feta or Thai Honey Peanut Chicken then I am going to double the recipes for eight servings.  In another hour, I shall take this chicken out of the refrigerator, cook it up, whip up a freezer friendly sauce using marinade left in the pan and some cream, and fill my freezer back up with that tasty dish since, at the moment, there are no more lovely jars of it left.

[Feel free to admire my mad garlic mincing skills.]

In case you are wondering, I have a 4-chicken bag and a 3-chicken bag left.  And I have not bought chicken the last two major shopping trips.  That is just how overboard on chicken buying I went a couple of months ago.  I plan to use the 4-chicken back for Chipotle Chicken Chili (one of my if-I-lived-on-a-desert-island foods) and the 3-chicken bag for the mustard and bourbon dish ... I think.

Sadly, I must report that there is absolutely NO pork in any of my freezers!  I've been struggling to contain my culinary panic, even though I have four jars of the Spicy Dr Pepper Pulled Pork in my basement freezer.  At the moment, to console myself, I am drinking a contraband Dr Pepper, completely ignoring the theophylline that is in my body at the moment.

I want to figure out (or find) a good recipe for split pea soup.
Soon.
After much resting.

No comments: