Saturday, February 02, 2013

1939-2013...


My father passed away on January 30th, ironically the day on which I had earlier posted some thoughts about loss.  His service is today.

My brother posted a lot of photos and documents from my father's life on his Facebook wall, many of which I have not seen before and most of those I had I do not remember. I wonder if this young man ever dreamed that on April 18, 1970 he would be awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom by President Richard Nixon as part of the Apollo 13 Mission Operations Team.

Since my father's final decline began in November, I have been re-watching all of the "favorites" of the movies I shared with my father, ending a week ago with "The Hunt for Red October," a movie we watched countless times since it first came out in that red VHS case. Because of my memory, I did not know about the Medal of Freedom. Yet "Apollo 13" is the one I left for the last. I packed it so that I could watch it with Becky this weekend. I was saving it because I didn't want to be alone when I closed the last DVD case.

I am so thankful for all those who helped me -- including prayers and messages and parking and puppy sitting -- to be able to be here and to be with her this day.

Lord, have mercy. Christ, have mercy. Lord, have mercy.

No comments: