Monday, January 24, 2005

“Have we ever had a fight?”

I was surprised when my best friend asked me this the other day. I was even more surprised to realize that the answer was no. In nine and a half years we have never argued.

I would like to think it is because I have matured in my 30’s and have become adept at relationships. But I know that is not the case.

Simply put, I am a better person when I am around my friend.

She sees the best in me and somehow that translate to our relationship. Knowing that she does not find me overweight or embarrassing (as I hear from my family a lot), I am free to be myself. There is no pressure to adapt, change, mold myself to another person’s perception of who I should be.

Hers is truly an unconditional friendship.

I savor our time together, be it in person or playing Scrabble on-line. I cherish this gift that God has blessed me with in her.

We are called to be the light and fragrance of Jesus Christ in the lives of others. She is. She is gentle. She is kind. She is patient. She is compassionate. She is humble.

She encourages me. She admonishes me. She inspires me. She loves me.

After nine and a half years, I am still awed and humbled that I have her in my life.

What a wondrous thing it is to have something in your life that is peaceful and refreshing…and has never by marred by angry words or behavior.

Selah.

No comments: