Monday, October 24, 2011

Avoiding what is in my head...

I have slowly been working on the stepping stones in the yard (ruining two pairs of pajama pants in the process) by scooting along the ground. [Yes, I garden in my pajamas (lounge pants).] In all, I found 27 stepping stones, either buried in the yard or stuck beneath the back porch (remember the electrician had to crawl under there for his work, so I explored, too).

Two of them I used to extend the sidewalk the entire length of the back steps back when I was making the two beds next to the steps. The other 25 now make a pathway around three sides of the garage. [Yes, I appropriately used leveling sand that I purchased months ago when I first started hankering for this to be done.] They are set slightly above ground height, but buried enough so that I can run the lawnmower over them.

By spreading them farther apart than they were originally set, I was able to have one path go to my bench and the other path to the side gate. However, the last five feet to the gate are stoneless. I also was able to redistribute the rectangles of grass to bare parts of the back yard. [Yes, my yard recovered from my over fertilizing in just the past month with all the rain we have had.]

Free stepping stones, $8 worth of sand, and lots of elbow grease--yard happiness. [And, of course, some lounge pants that are now all brown on the back side.]

It helps me to so something physical when my mind is upset and there is not all that much I can do. It also helps me--greatly--when I organize. My neighbors are very admiring of my pathways now, so I consider my mostly seated labors to be organizing my back yard.

A weird little bit of symmetry: At my first house, I found an old fashioned, brass garden hose sprayer when digging in the dirt. I found a second one here!


I am Yours, Lord.  Save me!

No comments: