Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Safety measures...


I cannot remember if I mentioned that I was reading an article about fire safety and saw that smoke detectors, whether or not they are still working, should be replaced every ten years.  Mine were very, very, very old, save for the new one that I bought for the basement living space.  So, I set out to start replacing them.  Lowe's has an economical two-pack of First Alert battery smoke detectors with a swing-out battery compartment and operational indicator light that I bought. I planned to buy one each month until I had all the areas of my home covered. 

I was a bit perturbed to discover that the holes in the old First Alert detectors do not match up with the new First Alert detectors.  So, the two I bought I had temporarily hung from just one screw, not wanting to muck about with standing on a ladder (or chair) and fiddle with screws and the drill.  

My sister, when learning about my plan, treated me to a second two-pack of smoke detectors.  I picked it up when I picked up the gifted mulch, but the bag with the smoke detectors has remained on the dining table where I tossed it.  Today, I girded my loins, grabbed my drill, and properly installed all four smoke detectors.  With the one in the basement living space, I now have two on the second floor, two in the basement, and one on the main floor.  I still need a second one on the main floor, one in my bedroom, and one in the attic.  Apparently, I should have three additional ones, for each of the other spare bedrooms upstairs, but since they are rarely used, I think the one I added to the hallway near all three doors should suffice for now.

I am fairly confused about carbon monoxide detectors. I have one on the first floor, but not in the basement. I have read conflicting advice about whether or not to have one in the same area with all the mechanicals.  I also read that you should put one in or near the sleeping areas, but since there is nothing on the second floor to give off carbon monoxide, I am not sure why that is important.  I mean, the alarm is loud.  

I could switch the smoke detector at the top of the stairs to a duel detector, but the miser in me noted with concern that carbon monoxide detectors eat up batteries.  Plus, the reviews are split between "great" and "crap."  The one on the first floor is a plug-in version.  That's the type I would get for the basement if I could figure out that having one there is needed.  After all, there are now oodles of plugs in the basement thanks to my upgrading the electrical systems in this house (panel, circuits, wiring, switches, and outlets). I would just need to figure out the best placement.

When is the last time you replaced your smoke detectors?  Do you have ones on every floor and by the sleeping areas at least?  Do you have a carbon monoxide detector?  A fire extinguisher?  If you are more than one person to a family, do you have a fire safety plan with your beloved and/or cherubs?  Do you have those window ledge fire escape ladders if you sleep on the second floor?  Do you have a designated meeting place outside the house so that everyone knows that everyone is out of the house?

Can you tell that I am a fire safety nut?

Amos doesn't like the drill at all.  He becomes rather anxious when I get it out and requires copious amounts of comforting once I am done working.  That is just fine with me, because using it as I did today means holding it above my heart and, thus, fainting.  

I consoled myself with Spicy Dr Pepper Pulled Pork tacos.
And a second bowl of Honey Nut Chex.
And four wretchedly bad made-for-TV sci-fi movies.

3 comments:

Mary Jack said...

We have never replaced a smoke detector, but ours are new from buying this home. We do have one carbon monoxide detector, and I think it is by the old furnace. We have one small fire extinguisher near the kitchen. We do have a safety plan to meet near the garden or the neighbor closest to said garden. We do not have window ledge fire escape ladders if you sleep on the second floor. We do not have "enough" smoke detectors, but we were strategic about placement, so I hope that assures you. And, I hope my commas are improving. ;)

Myrtle said...

All but that last comma! Do you sleep upstairs?? If so, you need a window ledge ladder if you don't have a porch roof to escape out on. After all, fires cannot be expected to be nice enough to let you walk down the stairs. Good to know that you are yours are somewhat safe, Mary. Love that you have an outside meeting plan!

Mary Jack said...

The kids sleep upstairs, but they actually do have a porch roof. Though I doubt they could open a window.

I just cannot figure out your comma rules about single words! Too, but, and and. Maybe someday. ;)

,

Ha ha!