Monday, January 04, 2016

Finishing up the zucchini...


I had four, not three zucchini, so I ended up with four new recipes on my recipe rememberer blog.  Yesterday, I also cooked Zucchini Parmesan Loaf and Zucchini Applesauce Oatmeal Cookies.




The zucchini Parmesan loaf was so moist it tasted almost like it had already been swathed with butter.  Perhaps that was the olive oil in it?  The aroma as it was cooking was near torturous.  This would be, I think, an impressive bread to serve guests or bring to a pot luck.




These are BLOODY FANTASTIC!  They are noted as a breakfast cookie, and after eating one I realize why.  It is sort of like eating a hearty spoonful of oatmeal ... just in solid form.  When I was making them, I sort of doubted they would cook because the batter is so wet.  It is sort of foamy sticky in a way.  My oven often takes longer and it did with these.  But I had two for breakfast instead of my usual one-half of a granola bar and very much liked them.

I debated what to do with the fourth zucchini:  make a second batch of the cookies above or try the fourth recipe.  I finally decided to let reason and space make the decision: 1) I will surely have more zucchini to make cookies with again in the future and 2) my freezer space is quite limited and nearly all my containers are in use.  So, I tried the fourth new recipe.




These are Whole Wheat Zucchini Buttermilk Pancakes.  I ate one and froze the rest, wrapping them first in plastic, individually, and then in a freezer bag as the recipe directed.  They are massive and moist and a real bear to flip in the pan, as you can see.  But they are rather tasty to be sure.  Pancakes are one of my weakest skills, so I was pleased that these turned out well, if not aesthetically pleasing.

The cookies also used up some of the applesauce that was left and the pancakes used some of the buttermilk that was left.  I will be finishing up the wild leaf lettuce in the next day or so (I've had tons of salad) and the asparagus.  It makes me a bit sad that I didn't get to make that for my family.  My counselor is going to take on one of the cauliflowers and a bag of brussels sprouts as I do not believe I can consume both of each before they are bad and she is a vegetarian.  I also have broccoli to eat.  I gave Firewood Man's buddy, who helped him refill my wood rack, the tomatoes, jalapeño string cheese, and a bag of Haricot Verts.  So, other than the brie cheese, all leftovers should be consumed, shared, or in freezable form by Thursday.

Too bad I do not have copious amounts of Honey Baked Ham left over.

Today, aside from pancake making, I removed the lights from the Christmas tree.  I really wanted it up longer, but it is rather dry ... or at least I think it is.  The needles have become so sharp that brushing against them to plug and unplug the lights actually hurt.  I called Firewood Man and asked him if I could hire him to take the tree to a dump site.  I thought they had curbside pick-up in the city, but they do not.  I do not think I should be trying to stuff the tree back into my car and try to find one of the drop-off locations myself.  Besides, I went through the entire dozen GREEN eggs that he brought me on Saturday, when filling up my rack, for all this cooking of leftover vegetables.  So, he will be bringing me more eggs and taking away the Christmas tree some time in the next few days.

Once I use the last of the mascarpone (I am still undecided on what recipe to use), I will not have a reason to cook for eons.  The good news in that is having an utterly full larder.  The bad news in that is not having cooking as a coping mechanism available to me.  SIGH.

Tomorrow will be three more weeks until I can pick up and hold Amos.
A seemingly eternity.

No comments: