Friday, December 22, 2006

I wanted to write more of my visit with my friend D, but each time I try, the words pale in comparison to the thoughts I have.

Never have I met a woman who savors the lives of her children as does D. Even in the midst of the chaos that can come with one who is 5, one who is 3 and one who is but a few months old, she walks with a calm certitude that stems from the fact that even the stressful is beautiful. It is beautiful because of the absolute blessing her children are to her.

D is amazing. There is no other way to put it. What she can do with an infant in her arms is amazing. For example, our first night together D made a garlic and brown-sugar glazed chicken for us and another meal for her children all the while holding baby M. I just watched in awe and then promptly scarfed down the delicious meal.

She certainly does not fret the small stuff, which is clearly evident in how she is raising her children. She is their authority and obedience is their choice, with straightforward consequences for disobedience. Yet, if they want to lie on the table reading a book while she is cooking, that is absolutely fine (her table is this marvelous square version of a farmhouse table). After all, what harm is done by them lying atop the table? They do not do it elsewhere, but at home, the table just one of the many "hearths" around which this young family gathers.

Her house is oh so clean. Her children are hale and hearty. Good food is plentiful. And their home is filled with love and laughter and acceptance for all.

Most certainly, it was an honor and a privilege to be with her this week. I am humbled by what I experienced and do not believe I will ever lose sight of the "rightness" of family I observed while there. This is how it can be and should be...for sure.

No comments: