Friday, September 26, 2014

The starry sky...

Those wild thoughts remain.  I am 99.99% certain that when work recommences on the back porch, it will result in a simple railing all around.



So this ... this will not exist ever again.

It is strange, having the days with a wide open porch has shown me just how discomfiting it was for me to be on the back porch.  I mean, I feel better ... my spirit does, at least ... whenever I open the door and look out upon my yard ... not upon a room that was like a prison.  No windows.  Ever darker as the paint became ever dingier.

Whilst stepping out on to the back porch without walls and without a railing has been a bit nerve-wracking for me (and Amos), I have savored the openness and the visual rest I see about me (i.e., no more peeling lattice).  Being on the porch is more peaceful in a way I cannot really describe.  It just fits me having it open.  No walls.  An unobstructed view of my yard.

A long while ago, my sister demolished a screen-in porch that was on the back of her house.  She did so primarily because it was worn and had cracks in the walls and the concrete floor (that was covered with that hideous indoor/outdoor carpet.  When she talked about doing it, I actually joined in with the rest of the family telling her that doing so would not add value to the house, that it would take away an "indoor" living space, since there were partial solid walls and windows and a door and a roof and such.  But she was adamant that she did not want a broken down screened in back porch.

I called her, yesterday evening, and asked her how she managed to persevere in the face of such overwhelming negativism about her decision.  She said it about her and what fit her, not the rest of the family.  Opinions are helpful in so far as they allow for the freedom of the one asking to not accept the advice.  I still think she has far more courage than do I.

The criticism I have received is that I am losing privacy and losing an added layer of security on the back of the house.  I am not sure I agree about the latter, but the former isn't germane to me.  With Amos' inability to conquer his fear of the dreaded GREEN grass requiring close proximity to his puppy momma as he begins the process, I never had the option of standing inside the privacy walls in my skivvies and waiting on Amos during the night.  The way I see it, the walls really just make it easy to fill up your back porch with stuff.

I'm all about reducing the stuff in your life.

With the enormous burning bushes and the growing smoke bush and rose of sharon bushes I planted to serve as a visual barrier to the less-than-tended yard on one side of me, I do not need the lattice as a barrier there.  On the other side, I longed for it to be gone so I could watch over Amos when he ventured to the side gate.

Without the lattice walls, it is incredibly bright in the back yard.  Somehow, the walls were curbing the floodlight's effects.  And I have absolutely enjoyed how very, very, very easy it is for me, now, to fetch those middle-of-the-night icepacks.  The kitchen is brighter by day and safer by night.

To me, all I see are positives to the wild thoughts I've been having.  In fact, wicked thoughts of a rocking chair on the porch for me to rest comfortably once Amos has started his watering-everything-in-the-yard-before-major-business process.  I can get a cover for the grill, which probably should have had one anyway, and a small tarp for the woodpile, which will only be out there seasonally.  I have even thought about ditching the old, cracked recycling bin I kept so that I could accumulate recyclables in close proximity to the kitchen before lugging them out to the bin behind the garage and using a smaller, rectangle, mesh garbage bin (easy to clean and will allow for airflow across the recyclables).  I shouldn't be carrying the current bin when it is full, anyways, because of the weight.

Basically, I have become a bit giddy over the thought of keeping the openness and the view of my back porch ... as well as letting any passer-by see what a bloody fantastic wooden floor I have!  However, I admit that I am fearful of the blacklash I'm sure to receive over not just replacing things as they were.

I am afraid about that.
Very, very, very afraid.

Today, I gave a two-hour computer lesson, which included installing new software.  And I had the blessing of reading (to edit) a strong op-ed article.  I carried up another 5 days worth of meals from the basement freezer (noting that it is almost time to make more Chipotle Chicken Chili).  And I made some Lemon Basil Orzotto for another pasta option in the freezer.  Primarily, I eat one freezer meal per day, some vegetables, and another small dish.  The orzotto will fill the bill on evenings when I am still a bit gnawish. Plus, I had all the ingredients on hand.  Tomorrow cannot come soon enough with regard to new grocery purchases ... lots and lots and lots of dairy products and fresh fruits and vegetables.  Seriously, I still have enough meals in the freezer for October ... at least.  I do think I have been better about eating down what I have, though I have dearly missed cooking.

I did not read the next chapter of Mark.
Well, I did not read very many words past the opening of the next chapter of Mark.
Should I just move on to Matthew commentary???




I tried to be good about waiting, but the steamer lounger is dry enough to use.  So, tonight, I watched two episodes of "Fringe" whilst resting out on the airing porch beneath the starry sky.  Until I spent time lying on my back, I failed to notice that there is quite a view on clear nights.  Amos kept watch for a while before settling down for a nap.

Oh, my!  What a gift from my sister that steamer lounger is!!

I dug out another quilt from the chest at the end of my bed, so I was toasty, despite the cooler weather.  Firewood Man has dreams of putting an outlet up there, but it will have to be an external run with conduit.  Were there an outlet, I could plug in the electric blanket and hang out beneath the stars well into the 20s at least.  I could as long as I doubled my wood socks and am careful about my tendency-to-turn-blue feet.  Maybe my stint out there will be short lived, truncated until the Spring.  In any case, I savored the quiet, peaceful, isolated spot for my puppy dog and I to hang out beneath the stars.

On the morrow, I shall be fetching my first full month's worth of too-expensive erythromycin, along with all my other medications.  Financial anxiety and worry will surely fell me.  But I do have the opening performance of the symphony in the evening to distract me.  And ... hopefully ... by the time I leave for the symphony, the porch floor will have proper supports beneath it.

Hopefully.

2 comments:

Caryl said...

I agree with you Myrtle! Don't put the lattice back on the porch (at least not on the back of it ... the sides maybe). It's going to be fantastic with all that light and open-ness!

Myrtle said...

Thank you for the encouragement, Caryl, for as much as I am savoring the idea of no more walls, I am still fearful of the backlash against my wild change.

Fantastic.
Great word for my heart.
Thank you.