Sunday, March 05, 2017

Catching up...


Another week and a bit lost.  SIGH.

Recovering from the asthma attack, as well as the blues of the asthma attack, took a lot out of me.  But most of the last week has been trying to manage my upsettedness over Amos being put to sleep for his teeth cleaning.  On the day (Thursday), it took me 38 minutes to actually let go of him.  [My vet has very, very patient staff.]  I had brought his weighted blanket, one of his babies, and a t-shirt that I slept in, so when they put Amos in his cage, he immediately laid atop the t-shirt and tucked his baby beneath this chin.  But later, when they went to actually sedate him, Amos wigged out.  They managed to give him the first shot, but Amos was so agitated that it was not working.  He pooped and peed all over himself and the cage.  I was expecting him to be ready for me at 11:30, but when I called around 10:00, I learned of his distress and headed back to the vet.

Long story short, Amos got his teeth cleaned and they let me have him as soon as he could stand on four legs (not walk, mind you, but at least stand).  Oh, how I needed to have my beloved Fluffernutter  in my arms again!  Amos was rather hilarious, not really understanding where he was or what he was doing, but he recognized me because his tail set to wagging.  The vet staff have never seen him that happy.  It was a good moment.

I admit that I was worried even on Friday, because Amos was just so sleepy.  He was a little interested in food and water, but he was not much interested in anything else.  I mean, when Amos doesn't Defend The Homestead against the invaders on the sidewalk out front, I know there is something wrong.  Saturday, though, Amos was more of his perky self.  And by Sunday, I knew he was okay.

The upshot of having his teeth cleaned is that, over the past couple of months, I started noticing that his kisses were STINKY.  He was actually diagnosed with halitosis!  I learned that when dog's teeth get really dirty, bacteria builds up on them and that is what smells.  So, Amos' breath no longer stinks!  YAY!

The vet doesn't want me to wait another six years, but she thought that he might be okay for three, especially if I go back to brushing his teeth.  I think I shall try that.  After all, Amos is beginning to forget who's Alpha Dog around here.




I was distracted from his continuing somnolence a bit because the bistro set I ordered for my haven arrived a week early!  That meant I had to put the table and chairs together.  [I sure do loathe Allen wrenches.]  Normally, Amos would be prowling about, expressing his upsettedness.  But this time I was left to work in peace whilst he napped.  Don't you think it looks good?

Today, Firewood Man fetched the pavers (and other supplies) because they went on sale.  I thought I was going to have to wait for another month!  If all goes well, he will be installing them this Saturday.  He would like for me to not go outside and keep them company whilst they are working, so that I could come out and be surprised by the end result.  He's planning on bringing a strip of the edging over some evening this week so that I can see what the real shape will be.  And then we will also map out the space around the tree.  Even as I typed that I realized the table would have to be moved, or at least the chair next to the tree, since the chair legs, as they are now, would be in the hole.

Of course, I am not sure about where the table should be or the bench.  I've thought about having the bench in the back corner.  And I've thought about having the bench tucked to the right of the tree over where the fountain  (I hope) will be.  Mostly, I think I won't know until I see the final shape of the patio (is that what you call the flooring outside??).

I also have ideas about some planters in my haven, but I do not know yet if I want Tim to build them or to buy some tall pots.   I think I will know more of what I want to have in that space once the space is more defined.  I know I want water and a wind chime and some growing things.  I don't know if I want a hanging basket or three or pots or planters.  I don't want to rush.  But I knew that, for the table, I wanted chairs with arms.  That severely limited my choices in the lower budget range.  However, I am fine with my selection and have already picked up a glass table top for it to make cleaning it easier.  I had dinner out there today!  Soooooooooooo peaceful!

Saturday cannot come soon enough!!

No comments: