Monday, April 24, 2017

Gardening and fountaining...


Gosh, what happened to Saturday and Sunday?  I cannot even say.  I mean, I can post what I had to eat for one meal each day, because I have been spending time out in my haven.  However, aside from those photos, I am not sure how the days passed.

I did, a few days ago, successfully replace the burnt out bulb beneath my microwave.  I am surprised by just how much brighter the stove top is now.  It makes me think that the bulb has been out the entire time I have owned the microwave.  I was proud of myself.  Perhaps a tad bit too proud.

What happens at such times?

The light inside my microwave went out!  I am working up to Googling how you go about replacing one of those.  Already, I am wondering how you get a screwdriver inside a microwave.  I really do not want to pay an electrician to replace the light.

Man!  I've had so much break lately.  Well, if you go back to the practically new refrigerator (which needs a warranty service call because it is making terrible noises when the water is moving around inside), I've had the refrigerator, the stove light, the sleep mate, the bedroom ceiling fan, and printer, and now the interior light on the microwave.  I'm not counting the light beneath the microwave, because I really do think it never worked.

I'm ready for a break in the cost of home ownership.

Meanwhile, about those meals...




Today, I had another melt.  I've been working on perfecting my melt making skills.  This one was a Southwest Chipotle Chicken Bacon melt.  It didn't last long.  In case you were wondering, the best melting cheese to use on a melt (that I have tried thus far) has been gruyere.  I prefer using a combination of two cheeses in all my melts.  White cheddar cheese pairs well with gruyere.




Somehow, I had forgotten how to make chicken enchiladas!   What a thing to forget!!  I finally tracked down the ratio of enchilada sauce and evaporated milk.  I told myself I was going to wait until the 27th to get the ingredients, but with all the "breakage" spending that I have been doing, I gave up on budgeting and went grocery shopping.  Of course, I forgot about half the stuff I've been waiting to buy, but I did get what I needed.  Mmmm!




I did remember something I did this weekend, just looking at this!!  I planted my raised bed goodies:  thyme, cucumber, lettuce, and carrots.  I haven't been able to track down sage.  With more gardening space, I chose tomatoes and broccoli as what I plan to branch out in my growing endeavors.  I loathe tomatoes, but I would like to learn to make sauce from scratch.  My dear friend Becky advised for me to plant roma tomatoes.

Anyway, last summer, with my bountiful crop of cucumbers, I started making lettuce-less salads.  This is my new favorite:  pulled poached chicken, cucumber, goat milk cheese, dried cranberries, and maple chili sunflower seeds, with Briana's Blush Wine Vinaigrette.  I've had this salad a bite frequently of late.




This was chicken in Thai honey peanut sauce over Basmati rice.  Mmmmm!

Anyway, not to bore you with a million and one meal photos, but I have enjoyed eating out in my haven immensely.  In a way, I have tried to think of it as my own little café.  By taking time to have a bit of presentation to my meals, I have been cheered ... thinking less about being ill.  At least whilst I am out there.

Truly, my hopes for the haven have been exceeded beyond my wildest dreams.  It is far prettier than I thought (the panels) and the tumbled stone pavers.  It is even more private than I hoped it would be.  And it is already cooler than I imagined.  By that I mean that I was outside whilst it was 74 degrees and yet I was comfortable eating in the shade.




I hadn't thought about a future haven when I moved my beleaguered variegated maple tree other than to make sure it wouldn't be in the way of any future fencing.  It turns out that the tree anchors the space beautifully.  I need to take a better photo, one further back, to emphasize its perfection.  You can see, though, that it is leafing out.  My fingers are crossed for that poor tree.

You can also see that I opted for a stacked pot fountain.  Firewood Man said it would be mid May before he can finishing the wiring.  It's driving me nuts, but I am trying to be patient.  I thought I got all that I needed, but I realized that I need to get a different plug cover, some river rock for the top, and more tubing to run from the pump that will be at the bottom of the fountain and the top.  I thought I had enough from eons ago when I got my first fountain, but I don't.  Oh, how I cannot wait to get the water running!

It is my hope that the frame for the tulip window might be done soon.  I'm trying to find that perfect balance between reminding Tim and not annoying him.  He does tend to forget things.  He is, however, crazy busy right now.

Oh, yeah, look carefully beneath a chair and you can see that I finished my footrest!  It sure makes it easier on me when Amos hops up in my lap when I am streaming out there.  He's partial to cheesy sci-fi, too!

There, I did remember via the photos.  I gardened and fountained since last Friday.  And ate tasty food....

No comments: