Thursday, December 22, 2005

I have not decorated my house this year. I cannot bring myself to do so. I am too tired. The decorations seem too frivolous.

I keep thinking about my grandmother, my great uncle, Kashi, work, my health, the problems our country is facing, the stress around the world...

I sat down and read through the Gospel of John. Such words to savor.

"Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Do not let your heart be troubled, nor let it be fearful." ~14:27


There is so much more to this life. I wish that I were not so very tired. I wish that I were back on the mission field. I wish that I were a better witness at work. I wish that I had more to give. I wish.

As much as I like receiving presents, I wish that this time of year really was about the meaning of Christmas, of the life Christ, of the sacrifice of love, of the purpose of God's plan.

I wish you joy and peace this holiday season.

The joy of the holiday, however, is not found in shopping, in presents. The joy of the holiday is in the incredible reality that God gave us the gift of eternal life. The peace of the holiday, though, is not about spending time with family or friends or time off work or eating good food. The peace of Christmas is actually found in the life of one born to die. What a conundrum!

Even though I enjoyed the gifts I chose and gave, even though I am grateful for what I have received to help clean the ducts of my home, even though I chowed through much of the delicious food sent to our office...I wish that we could all just stop the madness this commercial holiday has become and think about the true reason for this season, the reality of Christ, and the power and responsibility of the gift of eternal life.

No comments: