Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Today, I gathered my courage to offer some advice to the chief of staff. Their server is quite a mess, and his desktop was worse. I introduced him to knowledge management by organizing one folder and then showing him what I had done. I also taught him the marvelous wonders of the quick launch bar and how one can still have shortcuts without cluttering up the desktop. The final icing on his cake was a shortcut to the drive on the server he used most. He had been navigating his way through from the neighborhood networks process, a many click process. Now, one click and he is there!

I also gave him my resume under the guise of offering it as a means for letting him know my skills in case I could help in other ways than filing and making copies. He gave me a task with a PowerPoint presentation for their next board meeting and asked if I could get it done in an hour. It took me just three minutes. Perhaps that was another open door to at least do work that will keep me awake during the day.

I would say, however, was that my greatest accomplishment of this day was that I burned the 48 CD's of photos from the family archive project (a task I have been avoiding for a month). I lugged the CD's to the office in my backpack and then just popped them in and out all day in between my arduous filing, copying, and opening mail work.

Now, scanning the documents is all that is left. I need to jump on the ball with them, just dive in and forget how sick of this project I am. This will be the last time they are all together, and I do not want to miss this opportunity. Of course, scanning means I have to move all the books from the basement that are sitting on the table right now.

Perhaps tomorrow...

No comments: