Tuesday, September 11, 2007

ARGH! I worked six hours tonight on my second job. I had five tasks to do that really needed to be finished tonight. I did learn how to link cells across different worksheets in the same workbook in Excel. And I created my first pie charts. However, I am really, really, really tired.

The one thing that has kept me going is the phone call I received from Kashi's vet. His blood work came back) she put a rush on it for me, and she noted that all his values are normal, including the one that was too high last year. For right now, the weight loss and appetite change most likely is old age and/or pain from his arthritis. The next step for him is to do some x-rays since he really cannot tell us what is going on with his pelvic girdle (it was fractured when he was hit by a car when he was two). When she was examining him, he actually allowed her to really flex his hips and evaluate his weakness far better than she has been able to in the past year. She did confirm that he has about 20% more vision loss, with more than 40% occlusion in his left and about 60% in his right. My poor puppydog.

He will NOT like getting x-rayed. He will NOT like the anesthesia. He will NOT like being left at the vet all day.

I, however, will be glad for a better understanding of his arthritis. His vet said that the x-rays will help her determine whether or not we should increase his medication or change it.

I really struggle with seeing him fall some times when he jumps up and is bearing all his weight on his back legs. However, I do believe his quality of life is still fairly good (except when storms come like tonight...my poor petunia was frantic for more than an hour). He brings me such comfort and such joy that I want the same for him, doggy-wise.

When he was diagnosed with Cushing's Disease (oh, how I am thankful for the Chinese herbs he is on), I had a long talk with his vet. I told her that I never, ever wanted him to suffer. However, I also am fairly sure that I will never be able to actually tell her to put him to sleep. Once again, showing the kindness she has bestowed upon me over the years, his vet agreed then and there to make that decision for me.

I fervently hope it is a long time coming...

No comments: