Saturday, January 30, 2010

I started the 10th Evening Lecture tonight, but I found myself returning to Walther's words at the end of the 9th:

The moment a person through genuine repentance attains to a living faith, he has become a blessed man:  he has arrived at the very gate of heaven.  When death comes, the doors are opened, and he enters.  But since it is dangerous for a Christian to pass his days in ease in this present life, the Savior has taken the precaution of putting the cross upon him.  Whenever a Christian professes his faith by word and deed, people becomes hostile to him.  Even where this enmity is not manifested publicly, it is still noticeable and vexes him not a little.  How many have had to lay down their lives for Christ!  But how light is the burden of Christ compared with that of the Law!  Feeling the burden of the Law, a person will groan:  "Oh, I am the most miserable of men!"  It makes him despondent and fills him with despair. (76)

The first word that struck me was "living" as an adjective to faith.  For months have I have marveling at understanding more deeply just exactly what it means for the bible to be the Living Word.  Breathed by the Spirit--spoken then, now, and always--it is not mere words on a page but alive, powerful, and a measure of grace and mercy for each man, each woman, each child.  However, I do not believe, until this evening, I had truly pondered "living" as applied to faith.

Now, I have heard always that the difference between Christianity and every other faith is the fact that Christians have a relationship with a living god, not a dead one.  So, there that word could be applied to faith.  However, I believe that living faith does not mean a faith in a living god but a faith that is alive, active, and growing.  We are made alive in Christ upon our salvation, being given faith in our triune God.  But that faith is not a one-time gift, a static act.  That is at the heart of the Sacraments, gifts God is giving us to sustain and strengthen our faith.  He gives these gifts because our faith is alive, growing and in need of nourishment.

Strange thought...living faith.

The second thought that passed through my heart was his position on why we have crosses to bear.  A sharp intake of breath and my life shifted.  Still, I cannot quite put into words how I felt at reading this.

The third thought is that I am not sure I ever thought of myself standing at the gate of heaven now, this very moment.  I must turn this over in my mind and consider what this might mean.

But the final thought came more from lessoning than from this lecture, per se, though this breadth and depth of this book drives my question:  What is Gospel?

I know the answer, rather intimately, to the question:  What is Law?  Here I am, delving into this book, reveling in each page, savoring Walther's teaching bit by bit, yet listening to Pastor saying that his goal was to give them Gospel, I suddenly began to wonder:  Do I really know, truly understand what is Gospel?

Go back to the first two lovely lectures in which Walther first explains what the distinction between Law and Gospel is not before he puts forth what it is.  The distinction I have thought I understood, thankful he set down so clearly what it is not before moving to what it is.  I know those distinctions and rejoiced in my first reading through his theses, thrilled by another coming-home-moment almost as strong as the first read through of the Augsburg Confession.  But what do I know of Law and Gospel themselves, rather than the distinction between them?

The Law accuses.  The Law condemns and judges and kills.  The Law shows our need for a savior.  The Gospel saves.  The Gospel gives life.  But...what exactly is the Gospel?  Christ?  His parables?  The cross?  His resurrection?  His promises?  Some of this?  All of this?  Or merely objective grace and all that encompasses?  What is the Gospel?

Alas, truly I understand nothing!

Lord, I believe.  Help my unbelief!

No comments: