Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Tonight I was charged to remember who I am in Christ, to remember my baptism.  So, I spent some time reading through Luther's teaching on Holy Baptism in the Large Catechism:

We must think this way about Baptism and make it profitable for ourselves.  So when our sins and conscience oppress us, we strengthen ourselves and take comfort and say, "Nevertheless, I am baptized.  And if I am baptized, it is promised to me that I shall be saved and have eternal life, both in souls and body."  For that is the reason why these two things are done in Baptism:  the body--which can grasp nothing but the water--is sprinkled and, in addition, the Word is spoken for the soul to grasp. (LC, IV, 44-45)

For the kernel in the water is God's Word or command and God's name.  His name is a treasure greater and nobler than heaven and earth....God Himself stakes His honor, His power, and His might on it. (LC, V, 16-17)

So you see plainly that there is no work done here by us, but a treasure, which God gives us and faith grasps.  it is like the benefit of the Lord Jesus Christ upon the cross, which is not a work, but a treasure included in the Word.  It is offered to us and received by faith.... The Sacrament alone would be enough, even though it is an entirely outward thing.  It is like the commandment "Honor your father and your mother," which refers to bodily flesh and blood.  In these words we do not think  about the flesh and blood, but God's commandment in which flesh and blood are included, and on account of which the flesh is called father and mother.  So even if we had only these words, "Go and baptize," or such, it would be necessary for us to accept them and do them as God's ordinance.  Now there is not only God's commandment and injunction here, but also the promise.  Because of this, Baptism is still far more glorious than whatever else God has commanded and ordained.  It is, in short, so full of consolation and grace that heaven and earth cannot understand.  (LC. IV 37-40)

Therefore, every Christian has enough in Baptism to learn and do all his life. For he has always enough to do by believing firmly what Baptism promises and brings: victory over death and the devil, forgiveness of sins, God's grace, the entire Christ, and the Holy Spirit with His gifts.  In short, Baptism is so far beyond us that if timid nature could realize this, it might doubt whether it could be true. (LC, IV, 41)

Even in this short collection of snippets, I have a lifetime of learning.  Things I struggle with, things I savor.  God loves me so much that He gave me something that my body could grasp, could hold on to as indisputable fact, so that I might believe.  Tonight, I am trying to remember that God staked His honor on me, trying to understand what that means.


Lord, I believe.  Help my unbelief!

No comments: