Sunday, May 16, 2010

Mowed.  Puked.  Fainted.  SIGH.

To add insult to injury, my air-conditioner died.  I had hoped that I could have gotten another year out of the compressor (the offender), but I got three weeks from the $95 of freon that was added.  The hard part to swallow, to accept, is that this will be the THIRD air-conditioner I will have installed in the mere eight years I have owned the house.  That sickens me.

The first one was bad because a CROOK of a plumber installed a recalled unit.  When it broke 3 years later, the manufacturer would not honor the recall replacement because it had been installed AFTER the recall.  The second one has worked well, but the compressor has had to work harder because the unit is oversized for the house.  The second one had to be oversized because it had to match the new compressor.  At the time, I could have replaced both, but spending another $1,600 just three years after I spent $3,000 was a bit overwhelming.  Even the mechanics genuinely thought I had a few more years to go.  But since the whole anti-freon movement in HVAC world, I cannot replace just the broken compressor.  I have to replace the whole bloody system.  I had been warned about the ball-park price ($3,200) and hoped for that cost later.  Much later.  So, by the time my trusty HVAC guys take care of me, I will have spent nearly $8,000 for air-conditioning in the world's smallest home.  ARGH!

So, I am sweltering in my home, shaking and weak, and wondering just how long it will take them to order a new system and get it installed in my abode.  I am hoping that perhaps one could be delivered by Wednesday.

The only "good" news is that the mechanics told me once the new, properly-sized unit is installed, my summer electrical bills should be cut in half.  A small comfort.  A teeny, tiny comfort.

When you are weak and nauseous from mowing when you should not be mowing and weak and shaky from heat in your home, it is hard to concentrate, but my wonder at finding Jesus in Exodus 15 has not worn off, not one bit.

Pastor F ended up talking with me for a long while Friday night, giving me both some wise pastoral care and some Word from Exodus.   As he was reading to me, all I could think about was Jesus.

  • the Lord is my strength and song, He has become my salvation
  • the enemy being drowned in the water
  • the Lord's right hand is majestic
  • the Lord's right hand shatters the enemy
  • the Lord stretched out His right hand
  • the Lord redeemed His people
  • the Lord guided them to His holy habitation
  • The Lord purchased His people
  • The Lord will bring them to the mountain of His inheritance
  • The Lord will bring them to the place He has prepared for them
  • The Lord will bring them to His sanctuary

Oh, my...the world shifted for me!

When I told Pastor F that I saw Jesus in that passage of Exodus, he laughed and told me gently the whole book of Exodus is about Jesus!  I was in disbelief.  He also told me that in Luke (I think that was the Gospel he mentioned), in the passage about the transfiguration when Moses and Elijah were with Jesus the Greek word in that passage actually means exodus.  Now, which word?  I cannot tell you!  I wasn't taking notes.  SIGH.  Still, just the thought is amazing to me.

I told him that I cannot pray through the Psalter these days without seeing all these references to Jesus, to baptism, to the Lord's Supper...it boggles me the scales I have had upon my eyes.  Such mercy God has shown me in sending His Spirit to help me understand that which has been taught wrongly to me in order to know that He loves me so dearly as to provide this entire book of prayers that are the Living Word, the prayers of Christ, and the prayers of my heart.

I know that I still have such poor vision, eyes that see Law everywhere, Law that crushes me, weighs me down with the unendurable burden of my sin.  I wish for eyes that see more Gospel, for a heart that looks past the Law, thankful for its purpose, but mindful that it does not hold me captive, nor is it the final word, the last Word for me.

SIGH.


Lord, I believe.  Help my unbelief!

No comments: