Thursday, September 16, 2010

Would someone PLEASE push my reset button?

One of the things that the dysautonomia diagnosis answered was why I get so bloody cold at times.  Thermoregulation.  What a word. 

Tonight, I have on bike shorts, tights, leggings, pants, three tanks, two t-shirts, sweat jacket, three pairs of socks, mittens, and a scarf.  I am tucked in bed beneath five blankets.  Still, waves of deep chills are racing up and down my body and my nose feels like I am in Alaska in the dead of winter.

The funny thing is that last night, or rather early this morning, I awoke roasting in my bed.  For three hours, I lay atop my covers in just a tank and bike shorts, rotating wet clothes as I tried to cool down.  It was not anything like I have read about hot flashes.  I felt as if someone had set up heat lamps all about the bed and I was baking beneath them.  For the record, the thermostat read 64 degrees when I checked, certain that somehow the heat had come on whilst I was sleeping.  Oh, was I miserable.

That was the third time now that the wonky thermoregulation when south instead of north, leaving me feeling as if I were residing in the Sahara Desert. 

I cannot decide which is worse, freezing or roasting.

I spent almost all of yesterday packing up school supplies for the children at our sister school, praying over each item I placed in the bags.  I kept wondering what their first weekend was like with the food.  But that also meant quite a bit of moving and lifting and bending and straightening.  So, I am rather sore today.  Since I am shivering rather violently at this point, teeth chattering non-stop, the accompanying tremors and muscle spasms are quite painful. 

Last night, crying and praying and desparate for sleep, I kept thinking I would rather be freezing.  With extremities turning numb with cold, I am now certain roasting is better.

Would someone please push my reset button?


I am Yours, Lord. Save me!

No comments: