Wednesday, January 09, 2013

It's all the same to me...


Good news.  Bad news.  It's all the same to me ... physically, that is.  I had both today, so a migraine is starting.

I am replacing the hot water heater.  Bad news.  Because it is being replaced, the contractor is moving it from the middle of the room to the corner, where there is a small alcove.  The move also means this very low-hanging venting pipe running from the center of the room to the dividing wall is will also be removed.  To me, the fact that the utility half of the basement will have a nice clear space in the middle of it now is really, really good news.  The fact that you will be able to walk down the stairs and across the room instead of having to detour around that vent pipe is also really, really good news.  Paying for the new hot water heater is not exactly good news.  Mostly, though, I have been down right giddy at the thought of the impending change.

At the moment, besides the growing pain in my head and sensitivity to light, I am utterly exhausted.  You see, I hung the new work lights in the living space of the basement.  Any time I do anything with my arms raised is very hard on my heart and on my body.  So, while the task was not overly long, it work was exhausting.  I am, however, very, very pleased with the result. [Yes, I am actually giddy about the results, too.]

I tucked the new work lights between the rafters, instead of hanging them below as they had been previously.  I also added a third light to brighten the space considerably.  While I thought I would not be keen on the fact that the new work lights had a pull chain, I have decided that being able to change how much of the space is lit at any given time is probably a good thing.  The photo is not all that great, but I think it at least gives an idea of the new lighting.  The actual switching out, for a healthy person, is very easy, and they were rather economical.  It is strange to have three sets of plugs in the ceiling, but I am now grateful since the extra outlet made for more balanced lighting.  In case you are wondering, I hung them on the sixth link down on the chains to rest just above/before the bottom edge of the rafters.

While I was in the basement, I thought to do some laundry, since my basket was overflowing.  We have automatic washing machines.  We have automatic drying machines.  Why is it that we do not have automatic folding machines??

The extra trips up and down the stairs today has made my legs rather painful.  However, Electrician Man came by, unexpectedly, for a Dr Pepper and to look at the part of the basement lighting he has to do.  Because he is rather merciful about serving his neighbors, while here he carried up the heavy, old lighting to the back porch for me.  Since they are still working, I have a donation destination for them.

Electrician man is converting the laundry lighting to a regular fixture.  The new work lights are grounded plugs and the plug in the laundry ceiling is the only one that is not grounded.  Since he had to make a change in order for me to hang new lighting, I figured I would rather him take out the ceramic socket with a plug and just put in a work box for a regular fixture.  He is doing the same for the old lighting above the bath area.  Finally, he will be adding a plug next to the GREEN table in the utility space. That way I (or someone else) can use it as a work space.  It was rather cheering to hear him remark what a fantastic job I have done in making the basement truly another floor of the home.

After he left, I broke down all the boxes and took them to the recycling bin, and I put away all my tools, including the step ladder.  After that, I decided to make a chicken enchilada for dinner, but had to grill up some chicken first.  That meant an extended period of standing in the kitchen.

So, to sum up the day, I hung three work lights, took out all the recycling, washed, dried, folded and put away three loads of laundry, grilled chicken, made enchiladas, and cleaned up the mess in the basement from my work and the mess in the kitchen from my cooking.  Yes, I am fully aware that that was way, way too much work for me in one day. SIGH.  Will I ever learn?

Amos is just not himself.  He will vomit once or twice or thrice in a night and then appear fine for a few days.  Today, both Electrician Man and the seminary grad student noticed that he was out of sorts.  He is not having his blood tests for another two weeks (if I am remembering rightly), but it is hard not to worry.  Once I got in the GREEN chair, Amos crawled in my lap and stayed there.  Normally, he is up behind my head or wedged alongside my leg. I basically spent more time watching him than the shows on the television.  It is hard not worry.

But, with this day now captured here, I shall fetch fresh ice packs, take the migraine meds (which, incidentally, cost nearly $14 more than the new lighting I hung today), turn off all light and sound, and work on the bits of the Apostle's Creed I have been trying to recapture (I get stuck in the Jesus part now).


Lord, have mercy.  Christ, have mercy.  Lord, have mercy.

No comments: