Friday, January 04, 2013

Take that, Mac...


With guidance from Anna, I was able to install approximately half of the fonts I had on my PC to the MacBook Pro.  Thankfully, the ones that were True Type and Open Face Type and, thus, could be transferred, are the fonts I use most.  I have not yet tried to compare to see which ones had warnings (anything with warnings marked proceed with caution I chose to not transfer).  However, with the volunteer work I have done this day, I can see that three of fonts I tend to use the most are now on my computer.

The great victory was figuring out how to install the Adobe design software.  FedEx made the most speedy of deliveries, since I was slated to receive it next Wednesday.  With much fear and trembling, after first installing the fonts, I opened the box and proceeded my attempt to switch platforms.  The process was hard on both myself and my computer.  I note the latter because I heard, for the very first time, the fan run while the processor strained to install the very fat program.  The installation itself was 28 minutes, which I found simultaneously odd and impressive.  I should note that the upgrade went much, much smoother than the last upgrade on the PC.

[Would it be considered bragging to note that I also got the individual programs added to my dock so that I can access them easily?]

So, with the design software on my computer, I went ahead and created the PDF versions of both English and Finnish translations of THE PLAN eBlast.  I also created the English PDF of the May family newsletter from December.  This was one newsletter for which the Finnish work had already been completed before it came my way.  That means I am all caught up with my part of the eBlasts generated to date.

I also made the changes I missed last round to the prayers for the LIA calendar and "finished" that task for the second time. SIGH.

I did not, however, get to the draft of the next eBlast.  I tried and tried to write last night and again this afternoon.  But that work is the hardest that I do now.  Most of the time, what used to be as easy as breathing to me, is like rolling a giant bolder up hill.  Yes ... like imagery guaranteed to be fraught with as much backwards progress as forward.  I am trying to very hard to not be felled by despair when I note the mighty struggle to accomplish that which used to come to easy to me, but I have not grown all that much in this area.

Emily sent me the kindest, most merciful, most perfect message to me today: If you don't get your E-Blast done by tonight, perhaps you can keep plugging away at it, as it will be a blessing even though it's late.  Oh, how I needed that bit of encouragement lest I become paralyzed by failure and shame and still not have a draft for the director's review when he comes back from his trip to Congo!

After an eight phone messages, I received the refill for my prescription to tide me over until my next doctor's appointment.  That meant, unfortunately, a trip over to Target.  I believe the hardest thing I did today was to get out of the GREEN chair.  On the way there, I left a long, long voice mail to Bettina to stay awake as I drove.  In it, I mentioned that I was trying to remember to get hooks for the work lights for the basement.  So, Bettina, being a rather caring friend, texted me a reminder.  At Lowe's, I actually nodded off ever so briefly in the hardware aisle before I found what I needed.  On the way home, I tried Bettina again and was able to natter away at her until I arrived back home.

To nap.
Then to brave Mac and install my software.
Which I did.
Take that, Mac!!

Do you not agree that such victory is deserving of Blue Bell topped with raspberry chocolate sauce?

The funny part of the day was what happened after I bemoaned in an email to Emily about how tired I was by noting my vacuum cleaner has been sitting on the main floor for three weeks.  Even though the dust bunnies were nearly as high as Mount Kilimanjaro, I have been too weary to actually plug it in.  Not five minutes later, I noticed that my shadow had disappeared.  That, seriously, is never good.  I found him rather happily chewing on a GREEN candles.  That's what I heard last night.  When I heard a strange noise, I never investigated.  Mr. Mind-Like-A-Steel-Trap remembered, investigated, and found a new chew bone.  SIGH.  Out came the vacuum cleaner.

I fainted three times just doing the main floor.  It is still standing in the middle of the kitchen, plugged into the dining room wall.  Could I say that's so I'm ready to vacuum again soon??

For the record, I will note that if weighing one's self and then weighing one's self with a puppy across her shoulders is accurate in any sort of fashion, Amos has not, in fact, gained any weight.  So, I suppose that means that I really am getting weaker.  Because he feels at least 5 pounds heavier.

He is snoring right now.
Perhaps I will be, too, soon.
Dreaming of slaying the mighty Mac.


I am Yours, Lord. Save me!

No comments: