Thursday, May 22, 2014

It's Wednesday...


Marie called to talk with me about her beloved's graduation.

"Paul's graduating tomorrow, so I thought I would call to talk about you're going."
"No, he's not.  He's graduating on Friday.  Today's Wednesday."
"It's Thursday."
"No, I know what today is.  I worked to know it.  It's Wednesday."
"It's Thursday."
"I know it's Wednesday.  Seriously. You're wrong."
"What does your phone say?"

I wanted to scream, though not at the gentle and thoughtful Marie, "I DON'T BLOODY CARE WHAT MY PHONE OR COMPUTER SAY.  IT'S WEDNESDAY.  FOR ONCE I KNOW WHAT BLOODY DAY IT IS!"

Sweet Marie, she was calling to actually tell me that our plan for me to come meet her at her house and ride over to the seminary would no longer work because she would be tutoring right up until it was time to leave.  But she already had a solution.  Two, really.  She sent me very, very, very specific directions for a place for me to park and wait for her to join me there.  Marie sent two places, just in case the best one was full by the time I got there.

After I hung up the phone, I felt so defeated.  "It is Wednesday," I told Amos, with whom I had been arguing about tending to major business outside since last night.  After seven time outs, I gave in around 9:30 this evening because I was missing my puppy dog.  Just as we headed up to bed, he snuck in the servants' quarters room and used the brown grass he prefers.  Rat Bastard.

A failure at knowing the day.
A failure at my puppy dog's serious digression in potty training.

It didn't help matters that I spent two hours trying to figure out how to print a booklet I am working on of a paper that would be a good resource for pastors.  I know that I have changed to MAC and I know that I also changed to inDesign CS6 in that same process.  But I spent years doing almost every bit of collateral for the non-profits where I worked and printing the majority of it in house because we had not the funds for professions, teaching myself first PageMaker and then inDesign.  And I was a stinking genius when it came to printing and printer settings and whatnot.  Not anymore.

First, the booklet was coming out scaled down, so the fold was off.  Then, after switching to a postscript file (not that I know that what in the world a postscript file is, it was printing every other page in the opposite orientation.  The rub of it was that I knew what setting needed to be changed for the latter, but I could no longer find where to change it.  A tree died in vain today whilst I attempted to get a sample print of the booklet draft.

When I went to put the day's medication container back in its slot, the Wednesday slot was full.  Apparently, this morning, I was certain it was Saturday.  SIGH.

No comments: