Friday, May 09, 2014

Will the Lord reject forever...


There was this moment today, where a fragment of a psalm came to mind.  The tiniest bit flitted through my memory, briefly flaring something within and then fled before I could even grasp the line that had passed my lips.  Then, it was as if my whole being spoke the other words, the rest of the psalm that I do not remember, the whole of it, and its comfort filled me.  It was as if the Living Word was present, without out sound and without form, yet solidly within me, holding me, comforting me, granting peace.

For a short while, I doubted the moment happened, but the rhythm, the cadence of the line, lingers still, even though the words are gone.  The moment gave me pause.  Perhaps there is value in sowing the Word within me, even though I am forgetting it.  For ... perhaps ... it is not forgetting me.

What fragment, Myrtle passed through your mind?  you ask.

I had to look it up.  I knew which psalm it was, and so I read it over and over and over again, feeling my way through the cadence until I found the words:  Will the Lord reject forever?

My voice rises to God, and I will cry aloud;
My voice rises to God, and He will hear me.
In the day of my trouble I sought the Lord;
In the night my hand was stretched out without weariness;
My soul refused to be comforted.
When I remember God, then I am disturbed;
When I sigh, then my spirit grows faint. Selah.
Thou hast held my eyelids open;
I am so troubled that I cannot speak.
I have considered the days of old,
The years of long ago.
I will remember my song in the night;
I will meditate with my heart,
And my spirit ponders:

Will the Lord reject forever?
And will He never be favorable again?
Has His lovingkindness ceased forever?
Has His promise come to an end forever?
Has God forgotten to be gracious,
Or has He in anger withdrawn His compassion? Selah.
Then I said, "It is my grief,
That the right hand of the Most High has changed."

I shall remember the deeds of the LORD;
Surely I will remember Thy wonders of old.
I will meditate on all Thy work
And muse on Thy deeds.
Thy way, O God, is holy;
What god is great like our God?
Thou art the God who works wonders;
Thou hast made known Thy strength among the peoples.
Thou hast by Thy power redeemed Thy people,
The sons of Jacob and Joseph. Selah.

The waters saw Thee, O God;
The waters saw Thee, they were in anguish;
The deeps also trembled.
The clouds poured out water;
The skies gave forth a sound;
Thy arrows flashed here and there.
The sound of Thy thunder was in the whirlwind;
The lightnings lit up the world;
The earth trembled and shook.
Thy way was in the sea
And Thy paths in the mighty waters,
And Your footprints may not be known.
Thou didst lead Thy people like a flock
By the hand of Moses and Aaron.

~Psalm 77 (NASB)


I am Yours, Lord.  Save me!

No comments: