Tuesday, June 03, 2014

Deep calls to deep...


I cried unto God with my voice: even unto God with my voice, and He gave ear unto me.  
In the day of my trouble I sought the Lord; my sore ran in the night and, and ceased not: my soul refused to be comforted.
I remembered God and was troubled: I complained and my spirit was overwhelmed.  Selah.

Thou holdest my eyes waking: I am troubled that I cannot speak.
I have considered the days of old, the years of ancient times.
I call to remembrance my long in the night: I commune with my own heart and my spirit made diligent search.
Will the Lord be cast off forever? And will He be favorable no more?
Is His mercy clean gone forever?  And does His promise fail forevermore?
Has God forgotten to be gracious?  And has He in anger shut up His tender mercies? Selah.

And I said, This is my infirmity; but I will remember the years of the Right Hand of the Most High.
I will remember the works of the Lord: surely I will remember the wonders of old.
I will meditate also of all Thy works and talk of Thy doings.
Thy way, O God, is in the sanctuary: who is so great a god as our God?
Thou art the God who does wonders: Thou has declared Thy strength among the peoples.
Thou, with Thine arm, has redeemed Thy people, the sons of Jacob and Joseph.  Selah.

The waters saw Thee, O God; the waters saw Thee: they were afraid; the depths were also troubled. 
The skies poured out water; the skies sent out a sound:  Thine arrows also went abroad.
The voice of Thy thunder was in the heaven: the lightnings lightened the world, the earth trembled and shook.
Thy way is in the sea and Thy paths in the great water; and Thy footsteps are not known.
Thou leadest Thy people like a flock, by the hand of Moses and Aaron.
~Psalm 77 (King James, 1715)




Happy Birthday, to me.  My present to myself was this Bible, from 1715.  Yes, soon to be three hundred years old.




There I was, searching for another NASB 1977 to replace the broken one I received and I spotted this.  This Bible with no bids.




This Bible crafted in a time when copies of the Living Word were so very precious.




This Bible that includes also the Book of Common of Prayer.




The Living Word from the Old Testament ...




... to the New Testament.

I swooped in at the six second mark with my opening bid, a threshold set.  In those final seconds, I triggered a flurry of bidding, but my price point (actually a little bit less) prevailed.  Of course, I should acknowledge that I had, at the time, absolutely no clue that I was bidding in pounds and not dollars.  A bargain still, to me.

I have the Living Word printed in four centuries.  1700s.  1800s.  1900s.  2000s.  Why?  Why do I crave still that which I fear is not mine?




In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.  The time was in  the beginning with God.  All things were made by Him and without Him not anything was made that was made.  In Him was life and the life was the light of men.  And the light shineth in the darkness, and the darkness comprehended it not.





The Lord is my light, and my salvation, who shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life, of whom shall I be afraid?
When the wicked, even my enemies and my fond came upon me to eat up my flesh, they stumbled and fell.
Though an host should encamp against me, my heart shall not fear: though war should rise against me, in this will I be confident.
One thing I have desired of the Lord, that I should seek after, that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the Lord and to enquire in His temple.
For in the time of trouble He shall hide me in His pavilion: in the secret of His tabernacle shall He hide me, He shall set me up upon a rock.
And now shall mine head be lifted up above mine enemies round about me: therefore I will offer in His tabernacle sacrifices of joy, I will sing, yea, I will sing praise unto the Lord.
Hear, O Lord, when I cry with my voice;  have mercy also upon me, and answer me.
When Though saidst, seek ye My face: my heart laid upon Thee, Thy Face, Lord, will I seek.
Hide not Thy face far from me, put not Thy servant away in anger: Thou hast been my help, leave me not, neither forsake me, O God of my salvation.
When my father and my mother forsake me, the the Lord will take me up.
Teach me Thy way, O Lord, and lead me in a plain path, because of mine enemies
Deliver me not over unto the will of mine enemies: for false witnesses are risen up against me, and such as breathe out cruelty. 
I had fainted, unless I had believed to see the goodness of the lord in the land of the living.
Wait on the Lord: be of good courage, and He shall strengthen thine heart; wait, I say, on the Lord.
~Psalm 27 (King James, 1715)




It makes absolutely and utterly no sense that, with what is overwhelming my mind and my spirit, that another copy of the Bible would be desire of my heart.  I think a part of me wanted to know if what I read in the Psalter now was there 300 years ago.


I cried unto God with my voice: even unto God with my voice, and He gave ear unto me.  
In the day of my trouble I sought the Lord; my sore ran in the night and, and ceased not: my soul refused to be comforted.
I remembered God and was troubled: I complained and my spirit was overwhelmed.  Selah.

Thou holdest my eyes waking: I am troubled that I cannot speak.
I have considered the days of old, the years of ancient times.
I call to remembrance my long in the night: I commune with my own heart and my spirit made diligent search.
Will the Lord be cast off forever? And will He be favorable no more?
Is His mercy clean gone forever?  And does His promise fail forevermore?
Has God forgotten to be gracious?  And has He in anger shut up His tender mercies? Selah.

And I said, This is my infirmity; but I will remember the years of the Right Hand of the Most High.
I will remember the works of the Lord: surely I will remember the wonders of old.
I will meditate also of all Thy works and talk of Thy doings.
Thy way, O God, is in the sanctuary: who is so great a god as our God?
Thou art the God who does wonders: Thou has declared Thy strength among the peoples.
Thou, with Thine arm, has redeemed Thy people, the sons of Jacob and Joseph.  Selah.

The waters saw Thee, O God; the waters saw Thee: they were afraid; the depths were also troubled. 
The skies poured out water; the skies sent out a sound:  Thine arrows also went abroad.
The voice of Thy thunder was in the heaven: the lightnings lightened the world, the earth trembled and shook.
Thy way is in the sea and Thy path in the great water; and Thy footsteps are not known.
Thou leadest Thy people like a flock, by the hand of Moses and Aaron.
~Psalm 77 (King James, 1715)


Anguish. Despair.  Doubt.  Remembering. Truth. Salvation. Baptism. Mysteries. Shepherd.

I find the italics interesting.
I find the old copy of the Word still compelling.
Its refuge remains.

Or does it?  For me??


No comments: