Monday, June 02, 2014

Bushes and broken things...


Two days of itching and sleeping and itching and sleeping and trying really hard not to be grossed out by the pustules those ant bites created.  I think they are getting better, but they are also getting redder. That's what mosquito bites do, though, on me.  After the overly large welts I am left with dark red spots that take weeks to fade ... and stop itching.  The lumps with stuff in them ... are gross.  I asked my mother.  She said that I haven't encountered an ant bed before.  At least I have forgotten that....

Today, I went to have my blood drawn.  Once I saw the price of gas, I went ahead and called in my refill that is due on Wednesday and fetched the cauliflower for my birthday dinner on the morrow.  I also looked for oregano plants at two different places (I think I missed the boat on buying herbs), and I dropped off the donation bags.  A wide circle of errands, making sure I took the most efficient route whilst out.

I have been in denial about the fact that I also have two dead bushes in the back yard.  The pink bush by the back steps died, as well as the butterfly bush.  Neighbors on both sides of my house lost butterfly bushes, too.  That was the second one for me, the first still being under warranty.  So, I replaced both bushes with two weigelas I found on sale.  I was rather pleased to be able to do so.




This is the exact same type that I had before.  I was reading and I learned more about its care. I believe I was a bit too caviler about watering my previous one, even though it lasted three years.  Last summer, it was a bit peaked.  I have high hopes that this will soon fill the bed again.




I found this variegated one and thought, at once, that it belonged in my yard.  I adore all things variegated.  I struggled a bit with trying to preserve the thyme ground cover whilst removing the dead butterfly bush.  Digging up dead bushes is exhausting, by the way.




These are my Easter lilies.  They clearly did not make the holiday this year.  I thought they might then be May Day lilies.  Nope.  Next, Myrtle's Birthday lilies.  Baring a miracle growth spurt, nope.  Surely they will be open before the Fourth of July, right??

There were no cards in the mail today.  There rarely are.  Still, I was ... well, I spent the evening (resting) watching the night clouds from the airing porch.   I really would give anything to be able to properly photograph them.




I don't plan on checking the mail tomorrow.

Last night, I gave Amos a hair cut, so he would be looking dapper for the secret birthday dinner tomorrow.  If you haven't guessed, I am going with the red lentil dahl and smoky roasted cauliflower. I think, even though it will be more work, that I will use my great aunt's china.  Royal Doulton ivory china with gold leaf.  China and candles.  Would that be too much of a give-a-way for my guests?

With gas being so very un-economical, I bought a few more groceries with the cauliflower.  I have approximately $6 left for milk later on in the month.  If things hold, I shall have my most parsimonious grocery and household goods month to date.  That means I do not feel that bad about having to replace dead bushes.  I have budgeted yard funds each year, but I did not exactly plan on replacing bushes when calculating that line item.

I did learn that Pfizer has negotiated with Teva Pharmaceuticals for a generic version of Celebrex.  About time!  Teva Pharmaceuticals is the manufacturer who stopped making the erythromycin solution.  So, I find it a bit ironic that the company is both costing me more money and potentially saving me money.  If my formulary includes the new generic, next year, my monthly cost for Celebrex could go from $90 to $10!  Since the erythromycin change will be approximately $200 more a month, that $80 in savings is important.

I also learned something a bit good.  Being in the donut hole now, with my medications, means that whilst Celebrex is more expensive, the Larin and the final bottles of the erythromycin are less so.  Plus, the generics are still the same cost, so making the switch on those three medications has far more savings that I anticipated. Still, I am not looking forward to picking up Celebrex on the 27th.  I think that on the other side of the donut hole, what I pay will be less. But I am not sure.  I haven't been on Medicare for a full calendar year yet to make it to the other side of the donut hole.

While no cards arrived, the report from the follow-up mammogram was in the mail.  Yes, I ended up beneath the chair in the changing room again.  And I vomited in the parking lot.  The letter is about doing another ultrasound.  However, since the mass has not changed in size since last fall, I am opting out of that recommendation.  Yes, it took me two extra months to go through with this first follow-up mammogram.  I am thinking that I would rather just not have any more.  I am too weak in spirit for them.

Finally, I am grieved to note that I broke my small bar pan (Pampered Chef) today.  It slipped out of my hand.  With all the things I have broken from dropping them over the past few months, I truly do need to learn to hold things with two hands always.   I have not wanted to note how much weaker my hands are, but I have broken many items since last fall.  Nor do I wish to really think about the fact that I drop things daily.  Many times a day.  I have even dropped Amos.  SIGH.

I loved that pan. It is my most used pan, stoneware utterly and completely seasoned.
Another thing to swallow.
Don't give me anything to hold that you don't want broken.

No comments: