Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Buttons, buttons everywhere...


Late last night (actually early this morning), before heading up to bed, I was standing on the back porch looking down upon the raised bed as the rain began to fall, when I suddenly had a vision for my herb bed.  So, as the rain was falling, I darted out to the garage and fetched the shovel.  I had wanted to move the sage bush over so that there was better spacing between the sage and the rosemary on the near end of the bed, but had thought that by adding not just dill but some other not-yet-thought-of-herb, the sage, thyme, and oregano would need to be moved.

However, by only moving the sage (about 8 inches), leaving the thyme and oregano where they are (the other two wintering-in-place plants),  replanting (hopefully) the two rosemary bushes one either end, adding in the new basil and the new dill that I will buy next spring between the oregano and the spot for the second rosemary bush, everything will be all evenly spaced.  Then, instead of trying to figure out how to add another herb by adjusting everything between the two rosemary bushes, I can put all that thinking energy into trying to become garlicmaker.  You see, with the newly envisioned spacing plan, I can plant garlic in between each herb and still have plenty of room for the herbs to grow!!

[Overcrowding was my biggest problem this year.]

Because I stink at counting even on my fingers, I made a drawing of my bed and determined that I could have six rows of garlic.  I was thinking of just planting cloves from organic bulbs as my friend Caryl suggested I could, but I also am interested in buying garlic for planting that is rated for Zone 6 so that I know I had a best-possible-shot at becoming a garlicmaker.  If I buy planting garlic, I could buy six varieties and learn about the different types of garlic that are out there.  For example, one variety I was reading about said it was best for baking.

I am not sure I have ever had a most perfect vision for anything in my yard, save for the rock river.
I sure hope this one comes to fruition.
I would love to become a garlicmaker.

The mail today brought a pleasant surprise.  I received a microscopic settlement check from Toyota for some class action suit I frankly don't understand.  I am certain, though, that the lawyers for the settlement received a much, much, much larger check.  Given that I blew threw the last unexpected $30 (buying all those drinks ... man, was that Granny Smith apple soda tasty!!), I promptly deposited my $8.97 into my checking account and told myself to forget that there is a wee bit extra in there.  It's hard, though, not to think about how that would be enough for two visits to Panera for their most wondrous bacon, egg, and cheese bagels!!  SIGH.

Thinking about that check made me realize that I shouldn't even consider buying special garlic.  I should just plant regular garlic.  IF I do become a garlicmaker, then maybe next year I could try tracking down a local place (no shipping costs) to buy different varieties.  I do think I will wait until it stops raining, though, before popping my cloves in the raised bed.  Last year, I got some free bamboo stakes, which are still out in the garage, so I can mark where I plant the garlic with them.




This is me resting.

When I went to fetch my prescription on Sunday, I wore a denim shirt I've had for about 30 years over a denim skirt that I have had almost as long.  Mostly, I wore the shirt because the of skirt, and I wore the skirt because it was long enough to just slip on my leather clogs.  I was too tired to tie the laces of my boots.  I knew the was missing one button, but discovered it was actually missing two (I made do with safety pins).  However, I have actually missing wearing that most comfortable of shirts and wondered if the "lost" buttons were in my button collection (a continuation of my grandmother's button collection).




I organized all my buttons by type and/or color and size.  It took me an episode of "Inspector Lewis" and one of "The Good Wife."




I found one of the missing buttons, but not the other.




However, I did find a set of six matching metal buttons that I thought would work, though they are a tiny bit larger than the original embossed metal buttons.  There were two more of the alternative buttons that were slightly smaller. but six matched perfectly.  I sewed them on by making four passes of the needle in two directions.  My great sewing victory was that I threaded the needle long enough to get all of my sewing done with the first length of thread.  The buttons I cut off went into the bag of metal buttons in my button jar.




I was admiring my handiwork—giddy about finally being able wearing the shirt more frequently now—when I spotted the two buttons on the cuffs.  At first, I thought I would just leave them.  Then I remembered the two smaller matching buttons I had found.  They fit the cuff button holes perfectly, so I cut off the old buttons and sewed on the new.

Is there anything better than an old, soft, oversized denim shirt??

The way I see it, if any guest ever needs a button replacing whilst visiting, I've got him/her covered.  And any children also visiting.  Or the guest's local friends....

No comments: