Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Call me stupid...


We keep getting these magical combination forecasted days that then fail to appear, but are re-forecasted just a few days hence.  I was determined to use the above 50 degree temperature to get the airing porch railing primed.  Just call me stupid.



[The posts are primed only to the trim line.]

After a one-section learning curve, I figured out how to not smear any more bits of bonding primer to my sealed decking.  I have three spots to scrub off if I can.  If you look closely at the first knot hole (starting from the bottom of the photo) on the third decking board from the outer railing, you will see one of my three dusky patches where the sealer was not quite dry before the monsoon that followed the 12-hour drying period I managed to slot the job into.




[Just look at that luscious GREEN grass still growing at the end of October!!!]

Even though it is only primer, can you see how the railing is going to match the house?  [It helps if you envision white lattice below both porches framed by red boards.]

I barely finished.  In fact, at the half-way point—just when I was finally getting into a great rhythm—because I was so very, very, very cold.  Why is it that when the humidity is high, hot days are hotter and yet cold days are colder??

By the time I finished, my body temperature was 95.6.  That was after blanching myself in the shower.  I layered up in clothing, drank two pots of tea, and curled by body around Amos.  [He doesn't understand why I keep shoving him back beneath the blankets and against my body.]

Four and a half hours later, my temperature is 97.4.
I am still cold.
And feeling rather stupid.

This ... this I need to remember.  If two of those magical combination days do come up in the forecast so that I can finish the job. they cannot be days with high humidity, stiff breezes, and clouds.  And, frankly, whilst the paint can be applied at 50 degrees, I do not need to be painting at 50 degrees.

I did decide something ... odd.  Firewood Man told me that since I only sealed the top of the airing porch decking, the wood would still be able to dry out if it is not finished.  So, even though you can see the underside of the handrail when standing in the yard, I am not going to prime and paint it now. I will do so next Spring (or hopefully whoever volunteers to paint the lower porch railing for me) so that the handrail can continue to dry out if need be.  The balusters will have bare tops where they are slotted into the handrail.  The posts will be bare beneath the decking.  So, all that lovely wood will have breathing space (drying space) some place.

Proof that I am no longer a perfectionist is that I did not fill the screw holes on the top of the railing and fill them in before painting.  I care more than the wood is protected than for a perfectly smooth appearance.  Given that I live alone, I'm willing to live with the less-than-proper finishing job.

Plus, I am just too tired to do any more hand sanding.
Ever.

I did figure out another benefit of having railing instead of putting back up lattice walls on the porch: now I can enjoy my burning bushes each time I step outside my door.  Before, I would have to go out into the yard and walk around the porch to see them.  I have been savoring the sight of them as they start to turn.

No comments: