Saturday, January 31, 2015

Let it snow...


Late last night, I thought to text my neighbor to see if she was going to the grocery store on the way home from her shift work.  She wasn't planning to, so I asked if she would fetch me some whole milk in exchange for the price of the milk and a square of rosemary butter.  Yes, I bribed her.

Milk.
It does a body good.

In the middle of the night, I decided to fetch some more of my new pulled chicken and spiced refried black beans for a meal today.  I woke late in the afternoon and whipped up some guacamole with half the avocado I bought.  Then, I built some chalupas:  spiced refried black beans, guacamole, sour cream, pulled chicken, corn, fresh lime, and white cheddar cheese.




Yes, they were exceedingly tasty.

I was reveling, once more, in my culinary victory over pulled chicken, licking my fingers from the Hint of Lime chips I used to mop up the guacamole that did not fit on the chalupas, when my neighbor stopped by.  When you are literally still licking your fingers from a meal, it is impossible not to ask an unexpected visitor if she'd like some food, too.  I didn't want to speak the words, but they came out of my mouth anyway.  My neighbor did want something to eat.  SIGH.

The up shot of this, besides being forced to be all generous and share my tasty food that I had planned on having tomorrow (each jar makes four servings when putting the beans and the chicken on chalupas), was that my neighbor swooned when she tasted my pulled chicken.  She actually said that she preferred to the Spicy Dr Pepper Pulled Pork!  That's just nuts, but flattering to hear.  She also suggested that I rename the recipe to Spicy Pulled Chicken 2.0.

Her words of praise spurred me to offer dessert, too.  I don't know how that happened.  But I found myself giving her a plate with not one but two of the Creamy Lemon Crumb Squares I have left in my freezer.  Truly, I lost my head!




This is our forecast.  Whilst I was still sleeping this morning, Firewood Man came by and re-filled my firewood rack on the back porch.  I haven't had a fire tonight, but I was thinking of cleaning out the ashes and laying a fire for tomorrow. I thought I would also bring in a large pile of wood for the day.

I know it sounds weird, but I think that new medication is already working.  I mean, my inner ears are as itchy as ever, but I can breathe through my nose much better.  Last night, when I lay down to sleep, I did not get stuffy as the hours passed by. I didn't even use any Vicks.  I don't know what that means, but I wish that my ears would stop itching, too.  It is terribly distracting.

Before I went to sleep, I decided to go ahead and do the vacuuming upstairs.  Using a Dyson, you first have the desire to call out to the world to come look at the incredible about of gunk that your vacuum sucked out of your carpet.  Then, you suddenly realize that the staggering amount of gunk was in your carpet.  Shame clamps your mouth shut.

I vacuumed all the carpet and flooring twice and then I vacuumed all the baseboards.  I carried the vacuumed back downstairs and put it in the corner of the landing to the basement, fetched my icepacks, and took my huffing and puffing self off to bed.

Today?  Well, I got in copious amounts of napping.  And I made that tasty food.  And I shared.  Reluctantly, yes, but I shared.  That's about all I could accomplish, being exhausted from yesterday's journey out and about.

The snow is falling.
I wonder how much we will get....

No comments: