Saturday, March 28, 2015

B-...


I received another notice that my personal information had been stolen.  This is the forth time.  Target.  Lutheran Medical Network, The Home Depot, and now Blue Cross Blue Shield.  SIGH.

The two insurance data losses are greater, because they contain my social security number.  Honestly, I never liked having to give it.  The whole mess stinks.  Target is the only of the four who offered identity theft monitoring.  I am a bit resigned to whatever may come.  I, personally, did nothing risky or wrong for this to happen.  DOUBLE SIGH.

Today, I officially began my journey of learning to cook steak.  I stink at it.  I really, really, really fail at it.  I want to learn to grill flank and skirt steak and sauté sirloin (such as for beef and broccoli).  I've read dozens of recipes and watched dozens of videos.  So, I tried.

Yes, it was 34 degrees outside.
Yes, I had trouble lighting my grill that fell this winter.
Yes, I never got to the proper temperature.




In adjusting to lower temperature on the grill, I somehow managed to slightly overcook the steak.  Skirt steak CANNOT be overcooked.  The marinade was AWESOME, though, and so my steak tacos were fine.  I have plenty of leftover steak strips to snack on, though I don't think would be good for tacos since I use the best parts of the steak for the ones tonight.

I need to improve on grilling skirt steak, obviously, and on cutting it.  I wanted really thin slices, but perhaps for tacos what I had was okay. The flank steak might be better at cutting thin slices.  The meat I have is older, since I bought it and chickened out.  The way I see it, I really cannot complain if my first four steak trials fail since the meat is older.  However, the skirt steak had no freezer burn on it and was nicely pink when it thawed.




Despite my B- result on cooking steak, I did think of a most perfect place to put the thyroid medication so that I will remember to take it in the middle of the night when I am fetching fresh ice packs.

Tonight will be my last fire.  SADNESS.  I am hoping, however, it will give me the courage to wrestle my fluff ball—who now greatly resembles a sheep—to cut his hair.  Wish me luck!

No comments: