Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Read this...



Read this:




You can view and download it here.





Really, read this.


Dr. Yahnke regularly teaches about spiritual care for the wounded and gave me permission to take a paper from one of her presentations and re-set it into a booklet format.  I asked her to let me do so because, to me, her advice to pastors that is summarized at the end is priceless.  And, frankly, helpful to anyone and everyone who has contact with a suffering soul.

For me, reading it caused great longing for pastors to understand what she teaches.  It is hard to choose amongst the good things in her presentation, but I think, if pressed, I would say the most valuable bit has to do with confession and absolution.

Often, those suffering confess the feelings overwhelming them or driving them to despair.  I have personally experienced the unhelpful response that feelings do not need forgiveness. But Dr. Yahnke points out that by confessing those feelings we are really confessing an awareness of doubt and distrust.





But, seriously, do not read my clumsy retelling.
Read the booklet.
I promise that it will be worth your time.

No comments: