Sunday, May 22, 2016

All good things...


I think the greatest loss of living with Dysautonomia has to be how difficult it is to concentrate and remain cognitively engaged.  Translate that:  writing has become so terribly challenging.  Uphill.  Blindfolded.  One hand tied behind my back.

My friend Mary and her beloved came for his graduation.  A most lovely visit, for me.  Although their schedule was incredibly packed, they carved out some special Myrtle Time.  And they indulged me in a late night snack even though both were so weary it was hard to stay awake.  Sweet folk.

We went to a restaurant on Friday, so that I could have a normal outing.  Chili's.  On Friday, I hit such a wall with the arthritis pain.  I mean, I had started back on Celebrex/Celecoxib, but it was not yet built up in my body.  Sitting in the restaurant, I was not sure I could stay there.  But chatterbox here distracted herself.

There was a furniture store next to Chili's, so I forced myself to look at couches.




I found this combination that I like ever so much more than my first set.  Whilst it is not GREEN, I like the look of it.  I didn't think I would like attached back cushions, but I do.  And I really like the look  of the skirt.  The set is much more money, though.  It would take the remaining funds I've raised through selling stuff and leave nothing toward a mattress.

The cushions are exceedingly comfortable. Nice and thick.  Warrantied for five years, too.  What surprised me is that the love seat is a sleeper!  I could still have a bed on the first floor!  Sitting on it, I would never have guessed that it was a sleeper.

The sales man who was helping/pushing me to buy said he could work on price if I found something I wanted.  I asked him for that "helped price" and he gave me two numbers, one if I didn't get the sleeper version of the love seat.  So, I asked him to write down the name of the style and those prices.  He then passed me off to someone else who told me that I had to pay the "sticker" price.  I felt like I was in a used car lot.  I felt small.  And frustrated.  SIGH.

I was so upset that the salesmen working the tent sale in the parking lot noticed.  The short story is that someone called the manager, who talked with me, and I have an offer to go back after Mother arrives and work directly with the manager.

I looked up the manufacturer online and found two other stores that carry the line.  I was thinking that if the Kenneth collection is sold at another store, I might find better treatment.  I could have explained a lot more, but both salesmen kept making derogatory remarks ... about females.  So discouraging ... except that I REALLY like the sofa set.

Mary had asked for me to teach her how I make tortillas and how to make the salted whisky caramels.  Mary is an ace as rolling out tortillas and rocked her first set of caramels.  I was duly impressed and I was reminded what a novice cook I still am.

When we had pulled pork tacos (my wish), on Thursday night, both Mary and Ned helped make dinner.  I LOVED cooking with them, working all together on a meal.  It made LOSING at Rumikub more palatable.  Ned smoked us both, winning all the games but one.  And Mary won that one.  SIGH.

I was on my feet doing ever so much more than I should, not because they both were not helpful, but because I kept trying to move because of the arthritis pain.  Of course, that meant that I mostly slept yesterday (other than laundry and dishes to get ready for my mother's visit on Monday).  And today I have done nothing more than hold Amos and still savor Mary's visit.

They moved all the culled books to my car (or theirs) so I could get them to the donation center.  And they stripped their bed and took the bedding and toweling down to the laundry room for me.  Basically, they were kind and gracious and gentle and quiet and convivial and helpful and accepting.    It was such a peaceful, blissful visit!

The other boon during their visit was the treasure discovered in my walls!

Okay, maybe others wouldn't consider wiring treasure, but I do!  When Electrician Man started working on installing a fixture in the living room ceiling, he discovered wiring up there!  Someone had drywalled over the lathe and plaster ceiling, so there was a bit more cutting involved as he got started.  Then, once the hole was open, he found a block of wood in the way.

Before cutting it, we talked through which wall to use ... to cut into ... so that we could work wires up from the basement.  The joists run from the front of the house to the back (something we learned once the hole was open).  That meant either going up the side of the pocket French doors or going up the side of the picture window.  Either way meant then moving back toward the center of the room by cutting holes in the ceiling to drill through joists.  Finding wiring was like finding GOLD!

Eventually, we (meaning it was my idea where we looked), we found that the wiring for the switch was still in place, too, just also drywalled over (by some idiot).  So, Ben carefully cut out the box, installed a switch, and put on a plate.  In the ceiling, he put in a workbox and hung the fan I have from my last house.




The fan is wobbling some and no amount of balancing was helpful.  Sadly, I think I will need a new fan. But, for now, I can use the upper and lower lights and I can use the fan on low.  Even on low a lot of air was being moved.  I am soooooooo excited to finally have ceiling fixture in the living room.

It just BOGGLES MY MIND that anyone would ever think removing the sole source of lighting in a living room was "home improvement"!

Anyway, notice those lengthened pull chains?  Mary's husband Ned cut and put up extensions for me!  So kind!

Basically, I have been rather giddy since Thursday, despite pain that had me rather despairing on Friday.  I don't have to repair all of those projected holes (pay someone to do so).  I don't have to deal with the clean-up of said repair.  I don't have to deal with having a strange workman in my home for said repair.  All good things.

All good things topped with a most lovely visit with Mary and Ned.

No comments: