Friday, May 13, 2016

Progress...


After first aborted attempt, the buyer came for the couch today!  I am thrilled to have sold it so as to have money to replace it, but I am also ... discombobulated having no couch in my living room.  There is all this ... emptiness!

One of my lifelong dreams was to have a house with a true library. I long for wall-to-wall bookcases that run from the floor to the ceiling and have a ladder on a brass pole to access the upper shelves. BLISS. But I do have my dream home that is wonderful in so very many ways, even if it doesn't have a library.

In preparation for eventually having a couch again, tonight I downsized the books on the bottom shelf of the bookcase by the end of the couch space.  This way, I was able to take the contents of a basket I kept on the floor by the couch and put them on the lowest shelf. That means I will have more visual rest once I actually have a couch again.  And I will still have access to the medical helps that are becoming more and more a part of my life now.

The books I culled are ones, were I blessed with that library, I would NEVER let go.  However, I do not have that library and I have medical stuff and I want visual rest.  That means downsizing to make room.  Part of the culled stack are two books on Narnia, one for younger kids and one for older youth. I also included a comprehensive book on Lewis Carroll. And one on the history of illustration in Children's Literature.

The bookcase is really this for me thing that I did. A while ago, I pulled off all the books I thought had to be there to show I was a Lutheran/had faith and reorganized the bookshelf so that each shelf represents aspects of my life (my three degrees, my time as a missionary, being a professor, writing, etc.). You could say the bottom shelf does, too, now since the basket has heating pads and medical stuff in it.  

Anyway, when I look at it now, I find comfort in it.  It is sort of a memory keeper.  Well, maybe not that, since I do not remember much of what is on the shelves.  Maybe you would call it a reminder to me of what my life has been for the times I am feeling rather useless am fretting since most of what I do day to day is just try to get through until the next one.

I won't admit just what happened to me in the process, but I got the recumbent bike down to the basement to where the treadmill used to stand. And, given Amos' benedryl induced stupor, I took the opportunity to downsize his babies (many of which are from Kasha's life), culling the ones without stuffing and squeakers and the recipient of multiple surgeries. I had been keeping them in the bed he never uses, but I moved them to a basket so that the sight of them is ... less. I am waiting for WWIII to erupt between my Fluffernutter and I. But, truly, it was time.

Because I back-tracked and am taking up Mary and Ned's offer to be helpful whilst they are here, all the books I have culled are sitting on the floor by the bookcases from which I removed them. I am hoping they want some for their brood, but the rest I am going to have them cart to the car for donation so as to save me time, energy, and much fainting. My goal is to cull from the picture book bookshelf upstairs and the young adult bookshelf downstairs before the Moerbes arrive next week.

I am not wanting to cull just to cull.  But I am wanting to create space on all the bookshelves if only to not have them so very crowded.  But also maybe for some other uses.  For example, I have thought about using the top shelf of the picture book bookshelf, whether it remains upstairs or I bring it down to the living room, as a display for quilts (if upstairs) or as a space for my weighted blankets (if downstairs).  

When I think about moving that bookcase downstairs, I like the idea of having the rocking chair near it.  However, I just cannot fathom moving the marble-topped chest of drawers to any place other than the living room.  Of course, that chest of drawers is filled with my DVD collection.  So, logically, it should remain downstairs.  And, as the rocking chair is next to it right now, the lamp on top provides extra reading light and the surface a place to put a drink.  

I suppose I do not really need to decide about that until the couch and love seat arrive ... after I have made a final decision and actually purchase them!  

My beloved Fluffernutter seems a tad bit less warm today.  Actually, he still felt rather warm this morning, but less so this evening.  I am hoping, very much so, that he is turning the proverbial corner.    He has one more day of benedryl (drowsiness) and four more days of antibiotics.  His tail is much better, but not progressing as well as the wound from beneath the mat on his back.  That wound, nicely scabbed, is starting to shrink as it heals.

My worry is less, but remains still.
Having an ill puppy dog is rather horrid!
Poor Amos.

No comments: