Friday, August 19, 2016

Poaching journey...


My poaching journey continues.




This is poached chicken using the traditional method.  [I sure wish I could get better at slicing chicken.]

I found the method to be a bit less precise, and so I struggled some.  For example, you bring the liquid to a boil.  The original recipe says to do so on medium-high heat.  Only mine took forever to come to a boil that way.  As a result, I believe, even though I cooked it on low for the minimum suggested time, the chicken was 192 degrees when I checked it!  Normally, I think that temperature would have ruined the chicken, but poaching make for very moist chicken.

I will say that I found this method to make more flavorful chicken.  Now, by flavorful, I mean the bare essence of flavor, but definitely more.  I liked the taste of it better.  I also liked how there was no contrast between the outer texture and the inner texture.  The inside out method of poaching does created a bit of a "crust."  A wee bit.  But one nonetheless.




The added benefit of the traditional method is that you can also reduce down and then use your poaching liquid as a broth or stock.

The third method I am calling the "forgotten" method, because you start to cook it, take it off the stove, and leave it for 90 minutes!  I am looking forward to trying that, because the photo of that poached chicken looked so lovely.  Then again, that chef sure knows how to slice chicken!

It has been nice to have something to focus on, to look forward to, in light of having to ... argue ... with a vendor who damaged my home!  I mean, gee, The Maids are licensed, bonded, and insured.  But the owner doesn't want to file a claim with her insurance and, as far as I can tell, there is no way that I can do so.  My only recourse is small claims court.

That makes me think about how awful it was going to court week after week over the pit bull attack.  The dog owner was fined and assessed compensation for my medical bills (both Amos and I), but she never paid a single penny.  I tried to pursue the matter by having her case brought up week after week, but it did not make a difference.  She actually testified that she had no remorse for what happened.  SIGH.

I don't think the franchise owner cares a wit that my floor register was destroyed.  She just doesn't want to pay for it.  That's what she cares about.  It is not like I have $337 lying around to have it replaced myself.

If I do have to go to court, I will have to pay to file a claim and pay to have The Maids notified.  But, if I win (and why wouldn't I??), I can have those fees reimbursed by the company.

I am trying not to think about this much, but it weighs on me.  The only call I had with the franchise owner about the matter was wretched.  She called me nasty and hateful and miserable and hung up on me.  She called back and then hung up again.  No, I am not talking on the phone anymore with the company.  Writing only.

The franchise owner also sent an unpleasant email to my mother, repeating what an awful person I am.  I know that that is a reflection of the owner, not me, but still it hurts and weighs on me.

So, well, the poaching is a bit of a life saver.  The steak and the chicken cooking techniques ... learning new lessons ... have been a blessing.  Gosh, maybe if this situation gets even more stressful, I might finally be able to learn how to knead dough!

SIGH.

No comments: