Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Success...


I tried the steak again today, since I didn't want the fresh spinach inside to go bad, and made it absolutely perfectly!!




I am so very pleased!  The smashed garlic that I used as an aromatic was really very tasty.  I wish that I had added more to the pan!  I also made more Sweet Potato Roti, using it to wrap up those bites of garlic.  Mmmm!  The roti was the best I have made thus far, and I wonder if that is because I added a bit of salt to the flour before mixing in the sweet potato.

The recipe is a 1:1 ratio, so it is really easy for me to make just two roti by using 1/3 cup measures.  A large sweet potato is usually at least a cup, so I put the leftovers in the refrigerator.  When I want to make roti again, I take out the container of mashed sweet potato and put it in the microwave with a bowl of water.  I cook it for 2 minutes to get it steaming hot again.  Then I mix that promptly into the flour.  Gosh, I really, really, really like that flatbread!  It pared so very well with the steak.

I took out chicken for the morrow.  I hope to gird my loins enough to make my first attempt at poaching chicken.  I have three recipes from which to choose, and I am still not sure which to try.  I also have two chicken breasts, but I think that I might just do one at a time.  After all, I read that cold will set the flesh, so it is best to eat poached chicken without it being refrigerated ... meaning that it would be most tender and succulent if not refrigerated.

I've been thinking about those aromatics.  I am leaning toward using sage and bay leaves on the chicken.  Or maybe lemon and thyme, with a little white wine.  Of course, just writing aromatics makes me think of the garlic from lunch today.  Mmmmm!

I do so enjoy learning about cooking techniques and trying new recipes.
Culinary bliss.

No comments: