Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Beset by fear...


I find it interesting that I have a puppy dog so beset by fear.  I find it interesting the fears he's learned to conquer and the ones that fell him still.




This is my beloved Fluffernutter, begging to be picked up, as he fearfully looks about.  He becomes so very agitated, anxiously looking for what has frightened.  He is hypervigilent much of the time, but when he is afraid on our walks, that vigilance increases tenfold or more!

I paused to photograph him, this day, but then I bent down, as usual, and hugged him. Amos likes to lean his head on my shoulder for a bit, a paw about my neck, whilst I whisper sweet nothings to him. Most of the time, I can get him to walk again, but sometimes he climbs up onto my shoulders as I start to stand back up. And so I carry him for a while, until I feel his body cease to tremble. 

My poor little Fluffernutter!

I must admit, though, that I wish I had the comfort Amos does.  I wish I had someone who could calm my fears or carry me until I was more settled.

I will add, for clarity's sake, that Amos has learned a new command:  Sweetie Pie.  Whenever I call Sweetie Pie, Amos knows to come running immediately and comfort me.  Often, I called when taking care of my business is making me rather ill.  I become afraid of what will happen next and want very much to not be alone.  Amos has learned to come when I have especial need of him.  For that, I am immensely grateful.

No comments: