Sunday, October 15, 2017

Culinary labors...


Tomorrow, the maids my parents have clean the house once a month are coming, so I had a deadline of procesing my dried herbs.  I do not know how others do it or how I should be doing it, but the way I do takes forever.




This is over three hours worth of work.  Stripping the leaves and then ... crunching them down from a large bowl to what will fit into the mason jars.  From left to right, I have sage, thyme, oregano, and dill.  The dill is this German dill that I tried this year.  I adore it.  Can you see how brilliant GREEN it is even after being dried?  I wish I had enough for the larger jar, but I only grew one plant this year.  Next year, I shall be planting two of them!

The other goal I had for this day (well, I had two more culinary ones but grew too tired for the second) was to make some more chilorio.  Of all the recent recipes (as in this past year), I think that I like the chilorio the best.  Or it is definitely in the Top Five list.  I do like it as I have been eating it, on a fresh tortilla slathered with avocado mash, but I think it would be tasty as ... well ... as someone would eat barbecue.




You start by cooking the pork in a combination of orange juice and water.




Whilst the pork is cooking, you make the ancho sauce.  These are the peppers when you first start prepping them, remove the stem and seeds.




This is the peppers after you have soaked them in water you brought to a boil.  That's some of the water there on the right, because you use it with the ancho sauce.




This is the sauce.  Impressive, eh?  You put the peppers, soaking water, apple cider vinegar, onions, garlic, cumin, oregano, peppercorn medley, and parsley (I use Gourmet Gardens Parsley Paste).




To finish things off, you take out the pork and reduce the remaining liquid.  Then you pull the pork and drizzle it with the reduced sauce.  Next, in the same pot that you cooked the pork in, you heat olive oil and then pour in the ancho sauce.  After it cooks for a while, you add the shredded pork and cook it until the sauce is ... absorbed.

Mmmmm!  Tasty!!

Today, I started upping the baclofen.  I had put it off for a week or so because I knew I would be bowled over by massive headaches, dizziness, and drowsiness.  I wanted to sort of gear myself up for the increase, even though I want help with the neuralgia flares.  Nerve pain stinks!

The headache has started.  I know the side effects will ease as I get use to the dosage change—at least they have each increase thus far—but it is difficult to endure the side effects with all the other symptoms I have to swallow in this chronic life of mine.  SIGH.

It was good, though exhausting, to distract myself with some culinary labors.  I do so relish the idea of growing my own herbs and the sight of those jars tickle me pink.  Now, I just need to remember to buy an avocado so I can chow down on the chilorio I made.

Mmmm!  Tasty!!

No comments: