Friday, October 14, 2005

It was a crazy, filled day today. I learned of a crucial mistake on my part that wasted a $2,600 print job. I was devastated. Tears were streaming down my face, when the president of the company stopped by my office. I couldn't speak, so I just pointed out the error on the new print job.

Once I was composed, I asked him what he needed. I had to go on with my day.

But, you see, I have never cost a company money in 20 years of working. I felt horrible. I felt as if I need to pay for it. I was overwhelmed how long it would take me to pay off the reprint job. I was crushed that just when people were excited over a new piece of marketing collateral, I had to tell them that we couldn't use them until they were reprinted.

I did go on with my day. I worked and worked and worked on the projects that is more than what I should be doing. I had some help from some folks and absolutely no assistance from others. I tried to do the best job I could, but will it be enough?

The best part of the day...my boss, who was off for the afternoon, called me. Somehow, some way, she knew that something was wrong. I had resisted calling her in tears. Why should her day be ruined by a mistake that could wait until Monday?

Her response: It was her mistake, too. Her words were kind, but really this is my job. It was my mistake.

Still, hearing her encouragement helped me through the rest of the day without dwelling upon something that I could not change.

Surely the afternoon was a moment of grace to be able to set aside my disappointment and tears to finish a draft of the project.

Can I be thankful for even this day?

No comments: