Monday, July 12, 2010

I walked out to my car to go out to dinner and found that someone had smashed the right side with such force that the headlight and front bumper were ripped away and lying on the ground.  Surely, I should have heard such a violent act?  Surely, I cannot sleep that deeply?  No note.  None.

To stricken me further, as if that blow was not enough, I learned that somehow my auto policy changed without my notice.  A manageable $250 deductible has changed to $1,000.  I was stunned, incredulous that I could miss such a thing.  But I paid the bill all those months ago.  There is nothing I can do now that I have a claim.

Truly, I am discouraged, disheartened, and struggling to keep looking forward as I have been trying to do.  To lay down what lies behind me and set my face toward the future that Christ would have for me.

Here I am, supposed to be resting and relaxing (as much as one can do studying Greek), and now I have to navigate this wretched mess and swallow carrying debt once more because someone would do such a thing and walk away.

SIGH.

~~~~

It is a heady thing for me to confess the apostles' creed with another Christian, each successive time greater and more profound.  This is what I believe.  But it is not what I am doing, but what Christ has, is, and will do for me. 

There is this cheezy Luther movie (yes...I sort of hunger to watch any and all Luther movies) in which he is quite distraught, completely bereft, with his words tumbling all over themselves.  His pastor (or father confessor...I am not sure which), stands before him, seemingly ignoring his anguish, prompting Luther to speak the creed.  Luther does, then interrupts himself to pour out his despair once more.  Over and over this happens, the pastor very, very, very patiently getting Luther to work through the creed until he gets to the part...I believe in the forgiveness of sins...voila...light bulb time!  It was not that his pastor was deaf to his anguish, but he was giving Luther Christ and reminding Luther that in his confession, he was acknowledging the very help, the very strength, the very healing he needed to get through that moment of utter darkness:  the forgiveness of sins. 


Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, 
"This is the way; walk in it."  ~Isaiah 30:21

7.  JESUS GIVES US HIS GUIDANCE.

Every journey needs either a road map or a navigator.  Fortunately for us, in our journey with Jesus, we have both.

We have the Scripture to tell us where we are in God's redemptive plan, how to participate in that plan, and how to order our lives.  The Bible tells us who God is and how to share God's grace with them.  And when Jesus left the earth, He left us a "navigator"the Holy Spirit guides us into all truth and leads and directs us.

Jesus hasn't left us without a guide.  He watches over our every step.


Lord, I believe.  Help my unbelief!

No comments: