Tuesday, March 06, 2012

Just things...


I have been meaning to post this article for a while. Even though I have been hard at reducing, recycling, and reorganizing for a over a year, really, I still thought it is a solid, supportive piece.  Helpful even to someone quite determined to shed her excess stuff.

By moving things around, I was able to empty off three shelves from the far left unit.  That should be plenty of space for groceries and such should I end up having renters.  Primarily, I simply moved things around, but I did choose some games to donate and I decided I still had too many extension cords and power strips.  Since the latter are in a box, I really did not save space there, but I added the spares to the box I packed up for The Mustard Seed, along with a flashlight that is really too heavy for me to hold.

If only I could find another place where I can donate some of my binders.  Four bankers' boxes of them is too many to keep...even for me!  The non-profit counseling center where I have taken the bulk of my office supplies is, in large part to my distribution of excess, no longer in need of binders at the moment.

I also carried the outdoor, lighted Christmas tree up to the attic and moved a few of the bricks to the garage.  Along with these utility space changes, I better organized all the painting supplies.

Yesterday, needing to not think about the words spoken during my appointment, I threw myself into cleaning those stacking shelves I mentioned.  Sixteen of them are now assembled in three rows behind the curtain.  I still have several of the longer, shallower ones, which are good for shoes, to wash.  They do not fit in the laundry sink as well, so I will have to soak them, rotate them, soak them more, and then scrub them clean.  I used very hot water, 409, and dishwashing soap for my soaking mixture.  After wearing out two sponges, I got the rather brilliant idea of using the steel wool I have been hanging on to ever since the basement renovation at my old house.  You see, that is an example of something I could have down-sized, but saved because I thought it might come in useful one day.  The steel wool made the scrubbing much, much easier.

Two positive notes:  The other day Fred edited a piece of writing for me. I could dwell upon the fact that I missed two small edits and therefore had too errors go out in the eBlast.  But I am actually so very thankful for the privilege of having such a talented writer edit me.  I can learn so much from how often he demonstrates the power of simple word order changes.  I also savor how skilled he is at being gentle with strident thoughts, yet retaining their essence.  Sometimes, when I get a piece back from him, I just gape at it with open mouth, a tad envious of his craftsmanship and very much in awe that he would gift me so with the time it takes to edit my pieces of writing.

The other positive is that Sandra had lunch with me today.  The normalcy of going out to lunch was so very welcome.  Plus, though I did talk too much for what I wanted the time to be, I did have such a thrill listening to her talk about her doctoral studies.  She really has a fine mind, an intriguing mind.  So, the gift of her time was equally special to me. Plus, well, she gave me her French fries.  Truly, is there a greater act of mercy at lunch than withholding not a single fry from a friend?

Of course, I had to go and open my mouth to her about how it has been a week since my last migraine.  I believe I am well on my way toward another one.  I have yet to figure out my triggers, but a part of me is wondering if one might be my contacts. I have had such trouble with my vision.  I doubt it was anything I ate since what I ate was not unusual, but I suppose nothing should be ruled out.

Amos is sitting in my lap with his new GREEN Gorilla Baby.  For the past two days, Gorilla has gone everywhere with him, even to bed.  Last night, I couldn't stop laughing for a while because he kept trying to get both Gorilla Baby and Flower Baby tucked beneath his chin to sleep, only his head kept falling to either side of the stack of babies.  Between his snoring and his love of babies, Amos brings such laughter into my life.  Add in the absolute comfort of his constant snuggling and utter need to be with me at every moment of the day and I am daily overwhelmed with this merciful gift of my Creator.

Off to down the concoction of all my migraine pills and huddle in the dark and silence for a while. May the grace of this migraine be the focus of a week of freedom rather than the pain that is building within my skull.


I am Yours, Lord.  Save me!

1 comment:

ftwayne96 said...

Fred are the perty gud riter.