Sunday, March 04, 2012

Kick 'em when they're down...


I have never really understood why this is acceptable...common.  I mean, we live in a sinful world.  But people sure do like to tout the goodness of man.  It's all bunk.  My passenger mirror had a key piece inside that meant repair rather than replacement...the difference between tens of dollars and hundreds, according to Toyota.  Somebody stole it.

Wanting to accomplish something positive, but too weary to work more on the stuff shelves, I ventured out to the car to try and replace the windshield wiper blades.  I have had the new ones for over a month, but have always struggled with the "easy-release" mechanism when it comes to taking the old ones off and putting the new ones on.  So, I have avoided the task.  However, I thought that I could have Amos with me, on the leash, and accomplish two birds with one stone.

Amos refused to walk a single step in the leash once off the porch.
I failed the get the blades on before dark fell.
I discovered the innards to my mirror had been stolen.

When I pulled up to the house Thursday, I had contemplated folding the mirror back against the car so folk wouldn't notice the damage.  However, a part of me wondered if I was thinking prudently or pridefully.  So shaken--as shattered as my mirror really--after what had happened, I left the mirror as is and simply slunk into the house. While it may have been prideful, apparently it might also have been prudent.

I did learn three things I could do while driving to minimize the chance of having a flashback: 1) listen to loud music; 2) have a strong odor; and 3) have something prickly to hold while at lights and such.  The idea is to heighten your senses, to focus them on things that are not triggers.  A pine cone was suggested as a best option for touch and one of those Christmas tree car air fresheners for smell.

I am not sure where to get a pine cone.
I don't blame Amos about the leash.
At this point, I am afraid to walk and to drive.


I am Yours, Lord.  Save me!

No comments: