Tuesday, April 09, 2013

Gospel Harmony Joy Note 4...


I am a new fan of Luke, but more so am newly astounded at the intimacy with which God addresses us in His Word. In reading Luke 1:29, my first thought was how well God knows me. Huh? The verse is about Mary. Yet in a way it is about me, about faith, about how hearing the Good News is not always easy. Gabriel hails Mary as the favored one and tells her that God is with her. Mary's first response is: "But she was greatly troubled at this statement, and kept pondering what kind of salutation this might be." Hah! Such a message from God and she worried!

For over three decades, I was snared by the Heroes-of-the-Faith mentality. Everyone one in the Bible who is an example of faith is a GIANT of faithfulness, in obedience and trust and all sorts of things. They are all suffering saints who willingly walk into danger and death with no doubt or fear or failings of any kind. Here's Mary! The MOTHER of God! And her first response at good news is worry!

Verse 29, to me, is hearing God say, "I know you, Myrtle." Being known by God in the Psalter is not new to me, but being known in the Gospels is!


Lord, I believe. Help my unbelief!

No comments: