Thursday, April 11, 2013

Gospel Harmony Joy Note 6...


Reading Luke 2:29-32 was ... thrilling, having sung the Nunc Dimittis in the Divine Service Three. Sometimes I wonder if Lutherans truly understand what a gift the Liturgy is. To me, it seems as if those who advocate to abandon the Liturgy see it as a man-made thing that, therefore, could be easily discarded. But the Liturgy is filled with the Word of God.

When I started reading those verses, I heard the notes of the Nunc Dimittis. To me, those Words are perfectly placed following the Service of the Sacrament. At that moment, we join Simeon in truth. as well as in fellowship, for we, too, have just seen salvation!

Because I spend so much time in the Psalter, I recognize its Words amongst the liturgies of Divine Services and the Offices of Prayer and find singing them all the sweeter. Equally so, when I am praying the Psalter and come across bits of the Liturgy, my heart sings and I savor their sweetness all the more.

God tells us, in Psalm 81, "I, the LORD, am your God, who brought you up from the land of Egypt; open your mouth wide and I will fill it."

To me, the Liturgy is one way God is filling my mouth in Divine Service. Seeing the Nunc Dimittis in the Bible for the first time that I remember since becoming a Lutheran drives home just how fitting and perfect is the Word of God.


Lord, I believe. Help my unbelief!

No comments: