Tuesday, November 26, 2013

What happened to civility...


Just admitting that I still have the pink cotton blanket from college was enough for me to wash it and the angel-themed throw blanket and put them out in the car to take to The Mustard Seed tomorrow.  Fortunately, I drive right past there when I go to pick up prescriptions, which are ready.  I will also be dropping off the last eBay package.

Today, as I was advised to do, I filed an unpaid claim to trigger another invoice as a reminder.  The buy never contacted me again after saying he wouldn't be paying until Wednesday or later.  I learned that you are responsible for the transaction fees even if you are not paid unless you file a claim.  But, in filing the claim, I received a rather unpleasant note from the buyer.  I believe transactions in selling like this are business, not personal.  So, receiving the note was difficult to bear.  I have no reserves for being chewed out.  Nor am I skilled at being a duck ... at letting things like that roll off my back.

I simply do not understand how we got to such a place where civility no longer exists in the mainstream.  Online, at least, people seem to spend more time slaying one another than anything else. And, to me, that lack of civility, lack of any sort of boundary, has seeped into real life interactions.  Perfect strangers have no problem telling you what is wrong with you and what you need to do to fix it, followed by judgment on whether or not you're fixing things rightly or quickly enough.

No grace.
No mercy.
No kindness.

Not even civility.


I am Yours, Lord.  Save me!

No comments: