Monday, December 01, 2014

Bargains and babies...


Today, I went to Target to fetch my off-cycle prescription and ended up doing the rest of my shopping there instead of at Walmart.  Even with the Savings Catcher app, there is no way that I could have saved more than I did.  Eight of my items were on sale, including my most favorite laundry detergent.  Plus, I had $8.00 in coupons!  Shopping victories are always a nice boost to the day.

I had slept until 6:36 PM and awoke to a message that my prescription was ready.  The pharmacy closes at 7:00.  I threw on some clothes, fed Amos, and might possibly have exceeded the speed limit to make it to there on time.  I was so happy to see my favorite pharmacist back from maternity leave!

In addition to having a very economical trip to the store, I also had a memory victory.  Whilst I try to keep a running list on my most favorite of apps (AwesomeNote), I kept forgetting to put a doormat on the list.



I remembered to get one, finally!  This is so that I won't track water or snow from the airing porch inside and onto the wooden floor.  Target carries this brand Mohawk that I find both attractive and serviceable, that is also highly economical.  Many of the styles, such as this one, have a rubber trim and a rubber back.  I chose one a bit more fru-fru than the style I have at the front and back doors since it is inside the house.




I sort of spent that $8 in savings when I was in the store because I bought Amos a new baby.  My beloved fluff ball has this super cool sixth sense about new babies.  He was waiting for me at the back door, when I arrived home, and then started nosing his way through the bags until he found his new baby.  It caught my eye because it is one of those ginormous ones with squeakers in all the paws and the head.  And.  And it is a bunny!  Maybe, just maybe, Amos might change his mind about Baby Bunny now that he has his own Bunny Baby.  Amos has been dragging his new baby all over the house and is currently napping on it.




My box from Amazon came today, too.  My all-on-sale tax software, female undergarments, and this were inside.  So, I, now, will not be locked out of my house again.

That really was frightening.
Cold.
Vulnerable.




Amos just adjusted himself against his baby, a lot like he does in bed.  Adorable, eh?




Am I weird that I could nothing more than watch Amos for the duration of his nap and be perfectly content?  Or that I am jealous he's holding onto his new baby??  I always like how Amos likes to keep a paw on me when he's napping.  I've been replaced.

I will need lettuce for all those pulled pork tacos and lemon chicken gyros I plan to eat in December.  Cucumbers, too, for the water I am trying to drink daily.  And I will need more milk, of course.  The only other food shopping I plan on doing is the bell peppers for more of my black bean soup.  So frugal have I been, in combination with the medication savings, if I do actually think that I might possibly could learn to use it, I could buy the sewing machine and new glasses by the end of December.

But then I would have to be so very financially disciplined, too.  As in ... no Taco Bell since my gift cards are all gone.  No secret purchase of an electronic cheese grater I have been pondering because I am weary of the work of grating cheese.  No contraband grocery purchase this month.  And no trying to track down another Ossian smoked ham, which I was given two years in a row at Christmas and which I use to make my black-eyed peas.

I will admit that after searching intensely and for weeks on end, I finally found a small wooden bistro set for the airing porch so that I could eat out there ... maybe with a visitor.  It has good ratings and I watched several homegrown videos of folk showing theirs off and talking about its use.  I find it rather interesting that the bistro set and the sewing machine are almost the exact same price.  Temptation abounds on all sides, eh?




Amos just woke up, gave me some kisses, and settled back down.  Now, if you had a puppy dog who loved his babies so dearly, wouldn't you find it hard to resist buying him new ones??  Whilst I won't admit to just how many he currently has, I will say that I resisted purchasing any since I started my new austerity program last January.  However, I'm glad I gave into temptation today.  My faithful companion is very, very, very happy to have a new friend.  It is too dark to try and capture it, but I will add that four more babies are on the couch with us.  As I have said, Amos believe one can never have too many babies, never too much comfort.

Wise puppy dog.

No comments: