Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Getting me some ferns...


I have two hooks on my front porch for hanging plants.  There are more, actually, but two in the front that I use.  A few years ago, my mother bought lovely baskets for them.  So very lovely.  But large baskets are expensive, so I have tried to make my own ever since.  The first time I did was a dismal failure, but my second attempt went well ... at first.

I had Wandering Jew baskets that I made from a single broken piece from a plant my dear friend Becky bought during her visit.  They were terribly scraggly the first year, but were spectacular the second year, after wintering them in my living room.  The third year, they grew scraggly and I just couldn't stay on top of them.  So, I gave them up.

This year, I bought fuschia baskets at Walmart.  They were very small, but pretty.  The thing is that they never really filled out.  They stayed small all summer.  Pretty bloom after bloom, but small.




Here they are just a week ago, when we had the first really cold night.  When I found them still alive in the morning, I decided to winter them in the solarium to see if they might could finally take off.  So, first I decided to do a long, deep soaking before taking them upstairs.  I also gave them some fertilizer.  I am not sure they will like the cold sunshine that is my solarium in winter, the way the succulents revel in it.  But I thought, if they survive, I would try them out in my haven next summer.

For my front porch, next summer, I am finally going to get a couple of ferns.  I love ferns.  And I love, love, love the look of ferns hanging on a porch.  There are two houses on my block who had them hanging on their porches this summer.  I admired them every opportunity I could.

After dwelling on the matter some as things were kind of imploding, I thought that I was going to give in and just get me some ... that I was going to stop counting the cost on something that would give me such bliss in this wretched life.  Next spring, I am going to buy ferns!

And probably post a gazillion photos of them if I can keep them alive.
Silly Myrtle.

No comments: