Sunday, March 30, 2008

Well, I gave into the call of the lawn (weeds).

Today, I mowed and weeded the flowerbeds, both back and front. I am aghast at how much weeds I have in the front lawn (over 60% for sure), but I did not have the energy to make a trip to Lowe's for some weed stuff. I will have to do that one day after work this week since I will no longer have a wretched commute (woo hoo) in this traffic congestion laden region.

The grass that was growing amidst the weeds had achieved a height of just over six inches (yes, I measured) and had to be dealt with even though I would have preferred to rest the whole day. I set the lawn mower height up two notches and mowed one round, set it back down one notch and mowed a second time. At least the yard no longer looks as if it is an abandoned lot.

I tried to ignore the copious, pernicious weeds in the flowerbeds, but I just couldn't walk back inside though I very much longed to do so. Now, mowing was hard just for the fact that I am getting weaker than I would prefer to be. Lugging all those boxes into my car, into the house, and then back out to the car sort of wiped me out. It should have been easier labor, but weeding became a nightmare. I started sneezing and just couldn't stop. My rather violent attack even sent Kashi running into the house for safety. I did, however, manage to finish the task and am glad for the neat appearance of the yard as a whole.

Whilst working in the yard, I discovered a step that I had missed last November when I dug them up during my brother's visit. I had thought, then, the pattern looked a bit off, but failed to see this one and a half inch spot of concrete peeking out between the grass that is now oh so obviously the missing stepping stone in the pattern I created. I really, really wanted to dig it up, but 1) I just didn't have the strength and 2) I no longer have anything to put beneath it to keep it from settling again. I will have to remember to pick up some sand when I get that lawn weed stuff.

I finished by cleaning out and then refilling all of the bird feeders. Oh, my, as I was working some bird set out and cry and soon the local population had filled the branches about my yard. I stepping back inside to fetch the thistle. When I came out again, it was as if I entered a scene from The Birds. Whole waves of birds startled from their perches and flocked to the trees to await my departure. I wondered if I lingered in my last chore if they would drive me away in their desire to assuage their hunger at my feeders. Once back inside, I peered out the kitchen window for a while to admire the fruits of my labor and the antics of my avian neighbors. The best part was watching the morning doves settle about the fountain. Late last night I had cleaned out the fountain and turned it back on since the danger of it freezing has most likely passed by. I could tell then had missed it as much did I.

I would give just about anything right now for someone to come over so that I could take a hot bath. It is rather too dangerous to do myself since I faint so easily when getting overheated. Hot showers are a real fine line with me (one I gamble with all too frequently), but a good soak for my labor weary body is completely out of the question unless someone is around to make sure I get out in time.

Alas, I shall have to make do with a tepid shower since I should not risk falling the night before I start my new job.

My new job...boy, do I like the sight of those words!

No comments: