Saturday, June 13, 2009

How is it, if you will, that having only one option in utilities does not a monopoly make?

I am having a problem with Washington Gas that has escalated from mere nuisance to critical mass. In three weeks, the company is planning to shut off my service.

I have not missed a single bill. I have never had a late payment. No, this termination of service is due to the fact that I have not scheduled an appointment for the company to have access to my meter.

In February, I started getting these letters requesting that I call a number and schedule an appointment. However, the number is only an answering service. I leave a message, giving them my cell number and telling them to call after 10:00 AM so that I can hear the phone. One, two, three or more days go by and then I find a message on my home phone left during the day. I call back and leave another message. They return the call when I am not home. Then after a few weeks, I get another letter and engage in another round of phone messages.

I figured since not one single time could the company manage to call me when or leave a number with a live human being on the other end, that the appointment didn't really matter. I was wrong.

So, since Monday, I have three conversations with three different supervisors. I still do not have confirmation that I will not lose my service. I still do not have an appointment. The whole heat debacle has made working the problem more difficult. But...honestly...remember what I practically screamed at Pastor when we were rear-ended last week?

WHY CAN'T MY LIFE BE EASIER!

SIGH. I fear that shortly I shall be taking cold showers and eating cold food.

No comments: