Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Trying to sleep on a gaping wound in your back does not make for a peaceful night's rest. Neither does having nightmares about the even larger wound that will come after the surgery. All night long, I kept trying to pick up the stitches that kept popping off of the new incision and trying to stick them back in place. In the end, my entire back was a raw, oozing wound.

Would you say that I am worried about this? SIGH.

However, waking up to a living bird is worth a night of tossing and turning and all the burning, stinging, itching, oozing holes you could possibly have on your back. Fancy is still alive! Dr. M is plumb astonished!

Now, I am trying to be so utterly realistic and remember in just a few short hours, when I awake once more, that could no longer be the case. She is still dangerously underweight and her poop tells the tale of a distressed liver and intestinal system if nothing else. Yet, I hardly think of those things because I have had three more days with her and at least have more time to cherish her company and process having to say goodbye. I know, I have already set that goodbye another 5-10 years in the future. I know, I am foolish.

This evening, I hope, I have finished the brochure for Pastor's church. I started it two years ago, at my suggestion, I think. If you have not already figured this out, Pastor is quite busy. Nothing ever came of my draft. But now they are out of supplies and need to do a new print run. Shake off the dust and start again, eh?

Well, weeks have passed and it has not been completed. [Note: Pastor schlepping me to my doctor appointments might have something to do with that.] Yet, it is now due at the printer in order to have more copies in time for the church's next outreach endeavor. Cousin D kindly ripped my draft to shreds so that I could start catching the 1,001 errors I had. [Note: Wednesday has two letter "d's" in it.] B took another look-through for me. Many eyes are way better than one when it comes to writing and design work.

Cousin D rightly pointed out the brief bio on Athanasius was sorely lacking in cohesion and coherence. Being the lazy person I am, I had let that slide since it was used in their prior brochure. However, his comments smote my conscience, so I buzzed Pastor on his phone enough times to get him to take time out of his conference/family vacation to talk over the other changes and that small matter. He pointed me to source material on Athanasius, and I re-worked the bio. The final draft is in his hands (email account) now!

The design work was simple, partly because they are not a snazzy congregation, but primarily because I am a hack at the craft. That which I have done, thus far, at several jobs as a communications manager has come about because I worked for nonprofits that could not afford to hire a true designer. Some of my work has actually been really good. Other has been merely passable. I have absolutely no hubris about the matter. Still, I truly enjoy when I can help someone out with my skills, be they as they are.

It makes me feel much less useless, from my perennial perch on the corner of the couch.

No comments: