Sunday, June 28, 2009

Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.
~Exodus 20:8 NASB

Today, while I did not attend church, I have worked to keep this Lord's Day holy. For such a night owl, I awoke at 8:00 and was unable to go back to sleep. So, from 8:30 until now, save for two other things, I have done nothing but study the Bible and the Book of Concord.

In the latter, Luther writes:

This commandment, therefore, in its literal sense, does not apply to us Christians. It is entirely an outward matter, like other ordinances of the Old Testament. The ordinances were attached to particular customs, persons, times, and places, but now they have been made matters of freedom through Christ (Colossians 2:16-17). (LC, Part 1, 82).

He goes on to explain, however, that God created a day of rest for a very good reason: that we not work ourselves to death! And what better rest have we than in Him? So, our days of rest are good days to gather together to worship and to be taught.

He goes on to write:

So when someone asks you, "What is meant by the commandment: you shall sanctify the holy day?" Answer like this: To sanctify the holy day is the same as to keep it holy." "But what is meant by keeping it holy?" "Nothing else than to be occupied with holy words, works, and life." For the day needs no sanctification for itself. (LC, Part 1, 87)

[It is not the day that needs to be holy, but ourselves!]

Then, a bit later,

God's Word is the sanctuary above all sanctuaries....God's Word is the treasure that sanctifies everything (1 Timothy 4:5)....Whenever God's Word is taught, preached, heard, read, or meditated upon, then the person, day, and work are sanctified. This is not because of the outward work, but because of the Word, which makes saints of us all. (LC, Part 1, 91-92)

So, after thinking about his earlier observation: "And what, indeed, is the entire Book of Psalms but thoughts and exercises upon the First Commandment?" (LC, Longer Preface, 18), I decided to read aloud the Psalms while thinking about the fact that I should not have any other gods but God.

Needless to say, I am a bit horse, but what a magnificent perspective!

~~~~
Kashi paced back and forth at first, hearing me read, but then decided to go back to sleep. Fancy spent the day tucked beneath my chin. She is no better, but thankfully still alive.

Because my puppydog has been unbelievably patience with his arch enemy in her time of illness, I gathered my energy to walk him to the park and back, once I hit half-way through the Psalms. This is day three without my cane, so I shuffled more than walked and was huffing and puffing the last two blocks.

I also spent some time emailing Pastor D. I have been struggling with how our last meeting went and how I feel about a few things.

Now, for a long while, I have heard people disparage email, claiming it is the absolute worst way to communicate. But I, a lover of the written word, disagree. The craft of letter writing has been all but lost. Yet some of the greatest writing ever produced has been letters. Granted, there is a pervasive problem with employees tossing off angry emails with things that never should be written, much less said. People also use personal email in the same way: a mechanism by which to lash out when upset. However, I believe it is more an attitude against email or against the author that condemns the mode as a failure in communication.

Pastor has a tendency to say that his greatest skill is listening. This is true; he is a most patience and kind listener. But he is also a great writer. [Remember those apt metaphors in his sermons!] I think, perhaps, part of that greatness is actually his willingness to write, willingness to answer long emails with long responses, and willingness to keep trying to communicate, even when doing so is not easy or is laced with obstacles.

With letters/emails, it is possible, should you dare, to bare your heart and speak honestly, without having to worry about how the other person might look or respond before your message is finished. I know I am explaining this rather clumsily, but the point is that there is a certain freedom that can come in letter writing, that can actually push communication farther, deeper than can a verbal conversation.

Then, too, with letters you have something to savor after the conversation is done as well. You can refer back to what is said, studying it from different angles, see where you were wrong or right or agree or disagree. You have an opportunity for clarity. You have an opportunity for encouragement. You have an opportunity to teach, to learn. You have an opportunity to truly communicate.

So, I am thankful this day for technology and for a Pastor willing to use it in order to teach.

~~~~
Most of all, I am thankful for the greatest letter on earth, the Living Word of God, through which He sustains, chastises, instructs, loves, encourages, upholds, loves, and saves us!

No comments: