Sunday, December 13, 2009

I am very blessed by people willing to write more verses to Jesus Came, the Heavens Adoring.  My godmother's verse is on the Lord's Supper:

Jesus comes to give forgiveness
In His Body giv'n for me;
Jesus comes to th' repentant,
In His Blood shed for me.
Alleluia! Alleluia!
Giv'n so I may go in peace.



Pastor's is on undershepherds:

Jesus comes in undershepherds
Caring for His struggling sheep.
To the lonely and the dying
With His all surpassing peace.
Alleluia! Alleluia!
Comes with blessing, feeding, love.



I found my godmother's verse Saturday when I awoke and checked my email just before Pastor arrived for my lessoning.  We did not really get to the lesson, but he did bring the Lord's Supper.  And at least we talked more than I cried. 

On his blog today, Pastor mentioned that in Sunday School he had a bit a "tirade" against the pageantry props and background cropping up around the church where we share services.  The other church, who owns the building, has been readying for Christmas.  He doesn't have a beef with plays or such, but he made quite an interesting observation:

...what I pointed out is that when you don't have the sacraments, this is what happens - something rushes in to fill the vacuum. Therefore, how do you celebrate Christmas or Easter? How do you remember? How do you put yourself in the story? You have to act it out. You have to try to put yourself there. But we don't have to do that! The sacraments are what unite us to Christ and make us participants in the story. We don't have to try to go to Bethlehem when Jesus comes to us in His body and blood for the forgiveness of our sins. So at Christmas, there is no better way to remember and celebrate than receiving the Lord's Supper. That is where heaven and earth meet. You cannot get closer to Him than that.

Oh, Pastor, so many people do not understand what the Lord's Supper is, the incredible gift of how He comes to us!  They do not have undershepherds to teach them this.  All they have is worldly works and hollow measures with which to comfort themselves.

~~~~
Who knew that four letter word could have such joy!  Come!  I think that so much of the focus of Protestant churches is that Jesus came to us.  Past tense.  Lutherans celebrate, revel in how Christ comes to us.  Now.  Today.  Tomorrow.  Always!

Who knew how a church season can change a life?  Advent.  Waiting and preparing for Christ to come.  Celebrating that He came and will come again.  Humbled beneath all the ways He comes to us each day of our lives.

The sermon I chose for Pastor's food yesterday was actually from Pastor W on Trinity 2 in 2007.  It is a beautiful Word he brought to his flock on how Jesus calls us to come to Him.  I chose it because of Advent, the other side of the coin of Come.  We can come to Him because He came to us. He came to us because God longs to have a relationship with us, longs for us to come to Him.

But reading it was far, far harder than I thought it would be. In truth, at one point, I wanted to just pass the paper over and tell him that he should be the one speaking those words.

"Come, for all is now ready." "But" you object "I am not worthy to come. My clothes are not suitable. I wouldn't know how to act in the Master's palace." None of this makes any difference. The invitation goes out to all: to those who are on the back streets, to those who live in little, dirty places, as well as to those who live in fine houses. Come! The good news is that you don't have to be perfect to come. Come as you are -- with all of your sins and sorrows, weaknesses and failures, problems and anxieties. Come to the only one who can forgive you and heal you. Come to the one who on His cross opened His arms wide to you. "Come, for all is now ready."

Coming to Jesus isn't a one time thing. None can say: "Oh, I did that years ago." Coming to Jesus is a way of life. It begins with baptism. It involves living out our baptism in daily repentance and sorrow for sin and turning from sin to God. We come to Him and find Him where He has promised to be for us. We come to Him in worship for "where two or three gather in my name, there am I in the midst of them." We come to Him in Bible reading, for "if anyone loves me, he will keep my word; and my Father love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him." We come to Him in regular communion, for "he who eats my flesh and drinks my blood abides in Me and I in Him." You see He who came down from heaven to meet us on our level, meets us on our level still.

No, He doesn't stand at the top of the ladder and call us home. He stands at the bottom and lifts us up on His strong shoulders and carries us up the ladder Himself. None of us will ever know the wonder of the brightly lit banquet hall, the goodness of the food, and the joy of being part of this amazing fellowship until we lay aside the excuses and dare to accept the invitation. Yes, dare to accept it daily! Come to Him now, come to Him today and tomorrow and the next day and the next and so live in the assurance that on the last day He will direct to you the greatest "Come" of all: "Come, O blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world." Amen


Once again, I chose a sermon that was really food for me, not for Pastor. SIGH. I wish I could get it right.

~~~~
He completely surprised me with the Lord's Supper. Once he poured the wine, its fragrance sang to me, bringing comfort during even the liturgy of communion we were reading. Liturgy that included the Agnus Dei!

What does it mean to ask for Christ have mercy upon us? A friend said she thought it was asking Christ to look not upon our sinful condition and give us what we deserve, but instead pour out His forgiveness upon us. I like that, but then I think of the lepers crying out to Jesus and I cannot picture them asking for forgiveness. It seems to me that they were begging for help, for healing really. So, is mercy a combination of forgiveness and healing or more or less or something else altogether?

The dictionary gives me words such as compassion, kindness, favor. Frankly, they do not shed much light for me.

~~~~
After the lesson, I went over to the nursing home where the church was having a dinner with one of our members who lives there.  I was still very wobbly from the cold drama of Friday night, but although I had grave misgivings about inflicting myself on the rest of the church folk, I know if I were living in a nursing home, I would want people to visit me.  And I would care if they stunk at being human beings.

I forgot to bring a plastic fork in with me and walking back out to the car for one would really have just ended in my leaving.  So, I tried to eat with a plastic spoon, the only thing the wait staff could find for me.  I was shaking so much that the food kept falling off my spoon, but I did eat three whole chicken planks and a few pieces of butternut squash.  Then, much to my dismay, Pastor's eldest daughter, who was sitting across from me, came back with her dessert:  a triple layer chocolate cake with peanut butter icing and crushed peanut butter cups on top.  Now, I am actually not a fan of chocolate cake.  As much as I revel in desserts and am ape over cake, I have been known to skip chocolate cake.  But, seriously, there is NOTHING better in this world than peanut butter and chocolate!  In fact, as a teenager, I was know for spending an afternoon polishing off an entire bag of Reseece's Miniature Peanut Butter Cups as I read a novel or two.

Someone who has this diagnosis of diabetes over her head and who just spent five months puking all food and who still cannot handle sugar or carbohydrates alone has NO BUSINESS eating such a slice of cake.  But I stared at it until I think I was making his daughter a wee bit uncomfortable.  I plied her with all manner of questions about how it tasted, until I decided to fetch me a piece...no matter that I needed assistance in the fetching.

It was simply  marvelous.  SIGH.  Even now, knowing what came next, I would consume another piece were it placed before me...so creamy and smooth and peanut-buttery was that icing!

However, not long after I started feeling queasy.  The cacophony of the room started to recede and I wondered where the nearest bathroom was.  Pastor noticed, for he changed seats to one across from me and then shortly was near running my over to the bathroom as I held onto his arm.  He even reached out and grabbed a bowl as we hustled past the buffet in case I did not make it out of the dining room.

I think if I had not made it to the bathroom, I would NEVER have been able to face him again.  After all, who pukes on a pastor?

I spent quite a bit of time on the bathroom floor, working very hard to refrain from thinking where I was lying as I tried to stop trembling after the heaving up of all things tasty and the protein I needed and wishing that someone would come in to rescue me.  It took three attempts at standing, falling back to the floor twice, before grabbing the bar strongly enough to haul me upward. I have found that when I am wobbly, if I stand straight over my feet, that I can stand with the appearance of being fairly normal, but if I list, I have to shove my fear that I am about to fall down where no one can see it and cast about for something to surreptitiously grab a hold of for a moment.

[Something that I noticed about my godfather and Pastor is that when I list, they pull me back to center, but do not mention it to me.  It is as if they are helping me keep up my facade.  I sort of like that.  No, I really like that.]

Afterward, Pastor dumped me in a chair in the lobby area since everyone had cleared out of the room.  My godmother offered to drive me to my new friend's house since it was on her way home and they had extra drivers in their cars between my godfather and their nanny.  With much hesitation, I accepted.  She helped me so very much Friday night and then last night...when I have been avoiding her because of something that happened that I cannot speak to her about.  Sitting beside her was like having coals of fire heaped upon my head.

Even more so...because I was going over to my new friend's house because Thursday I hurt her feelings which made me feel even more the human failure and I knew if I didn't have a visit sooner rather than later I would just avoid her too.  Oh, how I wish I could be a hermit, in a cave, never having to inflict my oafish nature upon another person.  I was going over there to help her wrap presents and find a way to tell her how sorry I was for hurting her feelings and then begging her to let me jump off the phone because it hurt too much knowing what I had done...I jumped off the phone even though she wanted to talk things out because all I could see was my failure...which, in not talking at the time, make the failure all the worse.

So, there I was, trapped in my own car, being driven by such a loving woman, not wanting to speak a word but finding myself having to answer questions I would rather have avoided.  Nothing really changed, for me that is, when we got to my friend's house and I was actually scared to go inside, but she was leaving to go pick up dinner so I went from one car to another.

Then, when we got back to the house, my blood sugar started dropping, which told me I probably didn't loose all the icing or maple sauce from the squash though I know all the chicken was gone, so when I started panicking at what was happening, my friend just darted to the pantry where she had some icing.  She remembered that gel icing is a great quick solution, which really touched me.  She then divided up her dinner so I could have some real food to keep my blood sugar from dropping again after a while from the icing.  Such a vicious cycle that is.  Need a timer?  Just give me sugar on an empty stomach and you'll know 90 minutes have passed when I start getting a bit irritable, 120 minutes when I start shaking and sweating.

[Something that is very, very hard to describe about my new friend is that if I need to lie on her floor, she does not bat an eyelash.  It doesn't matter to her.  If I say I need food, she just gets it.  When I whispered beneath my breath my regret that I didn't remember to bring my sweats over there, she fetched some pants and a sweatshirt from her husband's closet so that I could change and be comfortable.  There is absolutely no pretense of any way, shape, or form with her.  It is hard for me to believe that, to trust it really, but I do recognize it.  That is what she offers in friendship.  What a marvel!]

In a way, in a way I cannot really fathom, the whole day, from Pastor announcing he brought the Lord's Supper to him sitting beside me in the lobby while I gathered myself as if his family was not waiting on him to my godmother driving me around to my friend essentially telling me that even seventy time seven is not too many times for her to forgive my oafishness...well, I felt as if I were walking about in the pages of the Gospel.

I know this will not make sense, but it was disturbing and confusing even as it was warm and comforting....

It was something that filled my day and even distracted me as I piled the hair on the side of the tub during my shower tonight.  The pile is smaller these days, but it is still there after each shower.

~~~~
In listening to Pastor's sermon audio clip this afternoon, Christ came to me again, the Word offered speaking directly to me, for me, no matter that there were dozens of other people in that building, no matter that it was actually for them and not for me given that I was not even there.

I have played the sermon clip on repeat, like it was one of his hymns.  I played the sermon each time I started thinking about yesterday.  I played the sermon each time I started thinking about how much failure I have been drowning in of late.  I played the sermon each time I started thinking that going caroling and going to the dinner were mistakes.

There is not one moment of this weekend that was as I had envisioned it would be.  With regard to the surprise gift of the body and blood of Christ, that is a very good thing.  With regard to the rest, I am not sure....


Jesu Juva

“Turning Darkness into Light”
Text: Luke 7:18-35 (Zephaniah 3:14-20; Philippians 4:4-7)

Grace, mercy, and peace to you from God our Father, and from our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. Amen.

John the Baptist was in prison. Perhaps he had been rotting in there for some time now. His crime? Speaking the truth and pointing to Jesus as
the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world. (John 1:29)

Meanwhile, John’s disciples heard that up in Galilee, Jesus had healed the near-death son of a
Roman centurion, and just by speaking a word. Jesus had raised a widow’s son from the dead, again, just by speaking a word. And they wondered: what about John? How come He’s not rescuing John just by speaking a word? John is His promised, prophetic forerunner, come to prepare the way before Him. How come Jesus is letting him rot in prison?

So they go to John and report all these things - maybe even thinking that if Jesus only knew that John was in prison down here in Jerusalem, Jesus would speak a word for him, too. So they speak to John, and John says:
go ask Him. Ask Him, “Are you the one who is to come, or should we look for another?” 

That question is evidence not of John’s dejection and confusion, but that even in prison, he is still pointing the way to Jesus. Because John knew. He was not looking for a soft, easy life. He was no reed shaken by the wind. John was miraculously born to be a prophet and his father was priest, so you can be sure he knew his Old Testament. The Old Testament which testifies that rejection and prison and death was the fate of all the prophets. This is what John meant when he said:
Jesus must increase; but I must decrease. (John 3:30) Not that his decrease would mean a nice, easy life of retirement and enjoying the fruits of his labor when Jesus takes over, but that he would die. He would die a prophet’s death.

And so John was decreasing, but even as he did, the darkness of his prison was enlightened by the light of knowing that his decrease would soon mean the increase to the joy of heaven. For as Jesus said:
the one who is least in the kingdom of God is greater than John. And soon, John knew, he would join them in that greatness.

That (by the way) is why we always celebrate Christian saints and martyrs on the date of their death - not to commemorate their death, but to celebrate their birthday into the kingdom of heaven. And so rejoice with them.

But that is a hard thing for John’s disciples to understand. And so they do as John told them, go to Jesus, and ask:
Are you the one who is to come, or should we look for another? John knew what he was doing. For when we get too limited in our perspective, too stuck in our own problems, too self-absorbed and self-centered, and filled with doubts and questions, we need to be pointed away from ourselves to something greater. To someone greater. And so John sends them off from the darkness of his dungeon to see the Light of the world. That as we prayed earlier: the darkness of their hearts may be enlightened by His gracious visitation.

For that is the true darkness - the darkness of the heart. Of hearts filled with doubt and sin. Yes, there is much darkness in our world: crimes and hatred, disease and suffering, hunger, neglect, and persecution. But these are but the fruits of hearts filled with sin. Sin that wells up and bursts forth its darkness and death into the world. Bursting
upon you, but also bursting from you. Yes, from you too, good Christian. No one is immune. From you too come thoughts, words, and deeds that hurt, that imprison, that embitter, that humiliate, that neglect, that lash out, that kill.

And when that darkness descends upon us, or when we see it in our own hearts and lives, it is a hard thing to understand. Is Jesus the Saviour . . . my Saviour? If so, then . . . why? Why does He not speak a word?
Are you the one who is to come, or should we look for another? Many are asking that question still today.

So how does Jesus answer that question? He preaches the good news to John’s disciples. For like the others who gathered around Him, they were the poor who needed it. And so through His works and His words, Jesus raises them from their prison house of sin and doubt, and enlightens their hearts. They see with their eyes and hear with their ears what John knows: that here is the healer of every ill, the destroyer of death, and the forgiver of sins. Those disciples walking in darkness have seen a great light. (Isaiah 9:2) The light no darkness can overcome. (John 1:5) The Light of Christ.

And John, the forerunner, has prepared the way of the Lord yet again. Even in chains. And I cannot help but wonder if he was still there when his disciples returned, or if Herod had beheaded him while they were gone. Perhaps John entered glory even as his disciples were beholding the glory of God in the face of Jesus. (2 Cor 4:6)

And now, dear Christian,
this is the glory that has been revealed to you. The glory not of kings or an easy life, but the glory of our God who has come to battle our enemies, our demons, our darkness and sins, and win. To give not just His head, but His whole life, as the sacrifice for your sin. That no matter how dark the darkness of the world around you, and no matter how dark your heart, that His light shatter the darkness and give you the light of life. The light no darkness can overcome. So that no matter the darkness you find yourself in - no matter the dungeon, the illness, the oppression, the sadness, doubt, or fear - you be not alone. But that like John, you know. You know there is a healer of every ill, a defeater of death, and a forgiver of every sin. And not just a Saviour from these things, but your Saviour.

For the Son of God came in your flesh, took your sin, died your death, and rose to life again, and then He baptized you, that His life and forgiveness be yours. That in those waters, Jesus work and speak the light of faith upon you, raise you to life, and give you peace. And so He has. That even in darkness you can have confidence and hope.
For He is the one who has come, and there is no other. And you need no other.

For He is the one who comes not once, but is still coming to you, feeding you with His body and blood, to give you His strength for your weakness, His righteousness for your sin, and His life for your death. That at this altar, Jesus work and speak the light of faith upon you, that you walk in the light of His life. And so He has. That even in darkness you spew forth not sin, but good works of love and forgiveness from the love and life of Christ that now lives in you.

And so, you see, Jesus did (and does!) speak a word for us, too - for John, for His disciples, for you and me. Not against the darkness of the world, but against the true darkness, of your heart. He speaks His word of forgiveness. To scatter the darkness not around you, but the darkness in you. That you have His light not just in a place or for a time, but in
every place and at all times.

And so as the prophet Zephaniah told us this morning, “
Sing aloud, O daughter of Zion; shout, O Israel!” That’s you! Why? Because “the Lord your God is in your midst, a mighty one who will save; he will rejoice over you with gladness; he will quiet you with his love; he will exult over you with loud singing.” Did you hear that? He rejoices over you! Yes, you. He exults over you! Yes, you. And He will quiet you with His love. Whatever the tumult, the doubt, the despair - He will quiet you like a babe in His arms. For once He was a babe in the arms of His mother Mary, and He knew the tumult of the cross, so that you never would. And even in that very moment, that hour of darkness, there was joy in His heart. Joy for you. That through His work and His word, you would have life. Life now, and life forever.

And that is the joy that gives us joy, and gives
Joy to the World. That enables us to, as Paul said, “Rejoice in the Lord always.” Not because things will always be merry and bright, because they won’t. But because your God rejoices over you. Yes, you. The joy that brought Him down at Christmas, the joy that led Him to ascend the cross, and the joy that brings Him down to you today. To speak a word to us poor, miserable, wretched sinners, and say: Fear not; your sins are forgiven. You are mine. And so you are.

And so in Advent, at Christmas, and all through our lives, His joy gives us joy. For if your Saviour rejoices over you, you are richer than the richest and higher than the highest. So let the darkness rage! It cannot win. The Light of the world has come, and He is shining upon you.

In the Name of the Father and of the (+) Son and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.

Now the peace of God which passes all understanding, keep your hearts and minds through faith in Christ Jesus, our Lord.  Amen.

No comments: